1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

got the mill back

Post in 'The Gear' started by f3cbboy, Oct 20, 2012.

1. f3cbboy

f3cbboy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    rockland county, NY
    stihl1.jpg stihl2.jpg stihl3.jpg

stihl 076. bar is about 28", 24" between the posts (max cutting log diameter), Sperber mill guy was out of North NJ. I havent used it since probably 1987, i was a senior in high school. a friend of my fathers has had it since then sitting in his garage. he must have worked on it before he gave it back - it started and ran like a beast on the third pull!!
    Its gonna need a chain, but looked on my dads basement and he has two that are usable, and about 4 gallons of bar oil i never new he had.
    Backwoods Savage, zap, ScotO and 2 others like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Awesome set-up!
  3. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Remember seeing them in catalogues in early-mid '80s. Must've went out of business about 20 yrs ago cause dont recall any advertising since then.Pretty high dollar compared to the Granberg mill,though you could get them complete with either Stihl 075 or 090 powerheads.Even 2 of them if you had the cash!! ::-) One thing I heard about the roller guides was they had a tendency to 'ride up' over any accumulated dust on the slab,making your cuts less flat/true.Where as the Granberg mill being square tubing whether 'pushed by hand' or moved by makeshift winch - that scrapes any oily dust off much cleaner.

Would be fun to try one of them out sometime,for chits & giggles.
  4. ScotO

ScotO Guest

wanna sell it?==c I'm a sucker for a Stihl 076AV with a nice mill attached to it...... ::-);)
  5. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
  6. f3cbboy

f3cbboy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    rockland county, NY
    Nah - i think i'm gonna run this for a while. It'll be an adventure runnin it by myself, i never ran it alone. I think i have a pretty good chance of coming into some wood. This may be a pipe dream, but i would like to make corner posts for a garage rebuild. 10' tall 4" X 6"'s would be great.
    ScotO likes this.