Grafting Apple Trees?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
Anyone have any experience doing this? I have an early transparent tree that I'd like to propogate. I know nothing about grafting other than it maybe could work...

They are pretty easy to graft. Usually you do it in late winter or early spring though (between the time when the buds swell and the trees bloom). If you want a standard size (large apple) tree you can root branch cuttings this time of year. If you want a dwarf or semi dwarf (smaller) apple tree, you need to graft scions onto dwarf rootstock. You can also graft scions of other types of apples onto an existing apple tree. However, multiple grafted apples tend to have one scion that will take over the top, and so the 3-in-1 grafted apple trees at the nurseries usually do not last as 3 different types for very long.

You can look online (google search "grafting apples") and find a lot of ways to do the grafting. I take sucker shoots from the base and use that for root stock, and cut scions from trees I want to graft in early spring and do a simple diagonal cut graft and tape them over. You just need to make sure that the cambium (green part of the wood) of the two meet at some point of the cut ends.

Thanks. Sounds like I'll need to do some reading. Closer to this winter and come up with a plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.