Grand Voyageur owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SculptureOfSound

Feeling the Heat
Sep 9, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
There hasn't been much talk about the Grand Voyageur recently and it's hard to get a consensus on owners' opinions based on previous threads. It's on my shortlist and Quad's even got a $300 coupon going until the end of the month which makes it all the more enticing.

So here are a few questions based on concerns I've seen in older threads.
  • ACC - useful or not really (and if you do use it, when/how)?
  • Do you have issues keeping the glass clean?
  • Do you need to keep the door open when starting fires?
  • Realistic burn times? (can you reliably get coals after 8-10 hours overnight?)
  • How big is your home and how well does it heat it?
  • As an extension of the above question, how do you feel about the heat throw in general?
  • Is the fan obnoxious at medium or loud settings? Is it almost silent when on low?
  • Heard of some issues with wood at back of firebox not burning well or fully - your experience?
  • If you could do it all over again, would you buy it again or something else (if so, what?)
Would also just love to hear general likes and dislikes or any other opinions on this insert!

There hasn't been much talk about the Grand Voyageur recently and it's hard to get a consensus on owners' opinions based on previous threads. It's on my shortlist and Quad's even got a $300 coupon going until the end of the month which makes it all the more enticing.

• Realistic burn times? (can you reliably get coals after 8-10 hours overnight?)
  • As an extension of the above question, how do you feel about the heat throw in general?
  • Is the fan obnoxious at medium or loud settings? Is it almost silent when on low?
  • Heard of some issues with wood at back of firebox not burning well or fully - your experience?
  • If you could do it all over again, would you buy it again or something else (if so, what?)
Would also just love to hear general likes and dislikes or any other opinions on this insert!
I seriously looked at the Voyageur a few years back when I purchased my insert (Hampton HI300). The Voyageur is a beautiful looking insert, but it is flush mount and will be less effective in radiating heat in a power outage. I've also read some threads on this site over the last few years and I thought some owners have had issues with the ACC, dirty glass and not being able to load N/S in the firebox. But I believe there have been many positive reviews as well. I would do a search on this site and read all the Voyageur threads to get a better idea of the feedback owners have noted.

Hi JCS - thanks for the thoughts. I tried to find as many old threads as I could (searching for both Voyager + Voyageur) and that list seemed to represent the biggest questions/concerns.

I drove about 40 miles to a dealer to actually see the Voyageur in person today and I have to say it looks nice and the viewing area is huge (feels bigger than the Travis Flush Hybrid that I'm considering even though it's smaller, maybe because it's more square in its proportions than rectangular)? Got to hear the fan too - well not of the Voyageur as that wasn't wired but of a 4100i that he said had the same fans - not too loud although not as quiet as the Travis when at medium speeds.

The other dealer - just down the road - also carries Quad but doesn't have one on the show floor. He did tell me that the early units had some issues with the springs used in the ACC but that has been fixed years ago and that he hasn't had customers come back with any issues on the units since then.

Anyhow, hoping some Voyageur owners will chime in - especially newer owners as I'm wondering if there have been any unannounced revisions that may have helped with things like the airwash, burn times etc (seems a lot of inserts get a revision or two within the first few years).

Sorry I didn't get to reply to this thread last September, but I figure better late than never. This is my fifth winter using this insert. The first year hearth.com was a regular read for me, but once I got things figured out better I rarely visited this site. Anyway I'll do my best with the questions, the limiting factor being this is the only insert I've ever used.

I like the ACC. I only use it when starting a fire. It allows me to light the fire and immediately leave it unattended if necessary. It provides extra air for the first 15 minutes to help the fire get started.

Once I have a hot fire, I usually burn with the air control closed as far as it will go. The wood lasts longer that way and less heat is lost up the chimney. This causes the lower corners of the glass to stay sooty dark, sometimes the entire bottom half of the glass gets dark. A few minutes of a large hot fire with the air control all the way open clears the glass quickly, but it gets dark eventually when I burn with the air control closed. There is always enough clear glass to see how the fire is doing which is nice.

As long as the wood is dry I can always start a fire with the door closed.

With the air control all the way closed, no problem having glowing coals 10 hours later, even 12 hours later. Larger rounds leave more glowing coals that burning smaller splits. I often just add some kindling after 12 hours and have a good fire going real quick. With the air control halfway or more open, all the coals are gone in 8 hours.

Because of the climate here in California, I have no need to keep a fire going in the afternoon. Typical winter day is low of 32-35 degrees, high of 70-75 degrees. Therefore the heat from the insert never really has enough time to get to the far corners of the house. My insert is in the living room which is open to the dining room and kitchen and all gets nice and hot pretty quick even when in the 30's outside, and my old adobe house has lots of single pane glass too. I also heat a bedroom down a hallway and it would be about 10-15 degrees cooler than the other rooms. My ceiling is vaulted and uninsulated, so a bunch of heat goes out there instead of down the hallway with the lower ceiling to the bedroom.

I am very happy with the heat throw. Can be 25 degrees outside and no problem keeping 75 or more inside. And we like having the bedroom a little cooler for sleeping at night.

Because of the tone of the fan, it is never obnoxious, even on highest setting. Just have to turn the tv up a little louder. On lowest setting it is still very easily heard. My biggest wish would be a quieter fan on lowest setting when it is blowing very lightly.

Lower back log burns the slowest. This is where I get my hot coals to restart the fire the next night. In a climate with colder afternoons and the insert burning hard all day, it would not be a problem to rake the coals from the lower back log forward before adding more wood.

I would buy it again. It has worked out very well. Only thing better would be a different house with enough floor space for a wood stove instead of the space saving fireplace insert. That way I could have heat without the noise of the fan.

insert (2).jpg

Last edited: