Grandpa Screen Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WV Cabin

Jan 11, 2018
Northern Virginia
Does any one have any information on demensions or purchasing screen inserts for a Gandma bear stove? I know it’s not really functional for heating but will help with the light in the cabin in the evenings. Looking to possibly make if I can come up with some dimensions and how they attached originally.

Reactions: Todd67
Does any one have any information on demensions or purchasing screen inserts for a Gandma bear stove? I know it’s not really functional for heating but will help with the light in the cabin in the evenings. Looking to possibly make if I can come up with some dimensions and how they attached originally.

Can you post a picture or two of your stove? Most screens for Grandma Bear stoves are hard to come by, but not impossible.

I’ll get a better one next week when I’m back at the cabin

Attachments

• 59189DA6-710A-47EB-A1A2-00ADC61010B0.jpeg
    59189DA6-710A-47EB-A1A2-00ADC61010B0.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 214
That's a Grandpa Bear stove. The trees are closer to the center on the Grandma Bear, almost touching when the doors are closed.

Wow,thought it was a Grandma, no wonder it runs us out of the cabin. I have a smaller Fisher but have to re do the floor pan to put it in. Got any info on screens for a Grandpa bear stove?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that stove throws some heat!

Try to contact member Cam Fan (spelling) on this forum. He might have some parts available, but not sure if he has Grandpa screens.

What's the smaller Fisher stove you have?

Nice, that's what I heat my 2-story house with.
IMG_20171223_190031992.jpg

CamFan has no Grandpa screens. They are now very scarce. They do come up for sale on eBay, but be prepared to pay. 175. - 200 (as in dollars)

They are not common since they only fit Grandpa. The Grandma screen fits the full size Insert, Grandma, Teddy and Goldilocks, so they can be found easier, but are drying up fast.

Grandpa Screen never used 23 X 12.5.jpg 23 X 12 1/2 inches.

Grandpa Screen back.jpg Here is what held the original first type on. 2 tabs at bottom and a truck cap type door latch.

Screen eBay 2-17 2.jpgThis is the Contemporary style (Grandma shown) that has two rotating handles that lock on the best. That is the type to build with a frame.

Screen eBay 2-17 3.jpg Back - the latches are straight out to the sides when locked on. (Grandma shown)

They do work great for starting a fire with damp or less desirable wood but are not considered a radiant heater in Fireplace Mode.
A flue damper is required for open door burning. This becomes your only air control.

Reducing to 6 inch as shown in your picture does not always work well with open door burning depending on chimney. That is one of the reasons it was designed with the 8 inch outlet.

Attachments

• Grandpa Screen IN 8-30-15 85.99  rear.jpg
    Grandpa Screen IN 8-30-15 85.99 rear.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 191