Grate question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb51b

Feeling the Heat
Dec 24, 2007
Birmingham AL
I have an old US Stove Wonderwood/Wondercoal. This unit has a grate in the bottom for burning coal, I get excessive ash buildup and am dumping WAY too often. When I dump, 12-14 hours AFTER the last load I have plenty of coals to start another fire, however they are in the ash pan and are too small to sit on top of the grate. The air intake is on the bottom, the grate has holes as well as the bottom of the firebox has holes (below the firebrick). My question is this, would it be a bad thing to put a 1/4" steel plate in the bottom of this stove to help keep the ash and coals up with the fire? It would not go full length and therefor would allow me to rake the ash and coals around as I need but still access the ash pan with them. There would also be the holes in the lower portion that would still be open for air intake. I have plenty of steel plate, would 1/4" steel hold up or should I line it with refractory material?

Jason

OK, I found some 3/8" flat bar in the basement and cut it to fit. I've started a small fire in there just to see how it does. So far, So good.. Everything appears to be functioning normally right now, we'll see how well it holds up once the box gets up to temp. It runs wide open at 250* and slowly closes the draft until at around 450-500 its closed completely. Maybe now this thing will hold a coal bed for the extra hours I'd like. I know it will quit producing heat long before the coals die out, but if I can at least keep them together for the next days load it will help..

Jason

Update: This is working out well. During my next down time (warm spell) I am going to pull the plates and drill a few 1/2" holes in them to allow for draft air to reach in from the bottom. Coals are now being held up with the fire and last a LOT longer. I can restart a fire with no trouble after an 8-10 hour lull.. I can sleep in with no worries now.. I get to the point of little heat output a little later as well. I would suggest this mod to anyone with this type of stove who is NOT burning coal..

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.