Gravely Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2011
central Texas
A local shop is running a good sale, or so it seems, on Gravely splitters. Are Gravely as good as Speeco or I&O? Is 1899 for a 34 ton machine a good deal?

Thanks.

I haven't priced the Speecos sold at TSC lately but that seems pretty close to the market on 34t machines. I usually asdvise against that size because unless you pay alot more they tend to have rather slow cycle times. The bargain units in order to keep price point low use the same size pump on the 34T as the 28T. And for me speed is usually more important than power since even the 22T units can split nearly everything. I'll bet it has a 16gpm rated pump, and I stress rated because not all applications actually use the pumps full rated capacity, and that size cylinder should have a 22 or better yet a 28gpm pump. Timber Wolf and the like use the bigger pumps on their bigger units, but you'll pay more too.

This has been covered in a previous thread. The Cliff notes were, $1900 is a lot of beans for what you get there. That also puts you squarely in I & O territory if you look at BuyAceHardware.com. 26 Ton Horz/Vert Unit was $1929 IIRC. 34 Ton is usually overkill unless you are splitting with a multi-wedge of some kind.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/82385/

I missed it too.
Just read it, a pretty good review.
I have the 22 Speeco, (the Tractor sup Huskee)
lot less $$ than the gravely, & have been real happy with it. Even the tough gnarly twisted stuff, it split it, automatically went into the 2nd stage of the pump & was a bit slower but never stopped.
Really like the cradle beam on the speeco for horizontal splitting, centers the round & Real nice wedge design,
As good?? hard to say. More $$ for sure but more power too.
I&O are one of the top notch splitters, not sure it's in that class.

I own a 25 ton Speeco that I picked up from Blain's Farm and Fleet about a month ago. I love it. It splits everything. Cost me $1249.00 on sale. Almost got the unit sold at Tractor Supply but would have had to drive over an hour to get it. Decided to buy local.

Status
Not open for further replies.