Great another year and here we go - -

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
Seems like the northwest is gonna get pounded with a blizzard and in my parts Prolly another subpar winter - above average temps and barely any snow .... great another bummer for me!
I swear when I was a kid it always snowed now nothing.... global warming at its best

Patients Iceman, Winter hasn't even started yet. At least your saving on firewood.

iceman said:
Seems like the northwest is gonna get pounded with a blizzard and in my parts Prolly another subpar winter - above average temps and barely any snow .... great another bummer for me!
I swear when I was a kid it always snowed now nothing.... global warming at its best

Enjoy it while you can brother. I'm sure we'll get ours at some point. I look at it like we don't have to burn as much wood. But I hear what you're saying. I can't wait to use my new snowblower.

Lol I have been waiting for winter since Sept 09! Last year everyone but us got winter!
We had 2 storms shut down schools and everything else , and got nothing for 1 storm and 2 inches from the other one ... they all stayed south...... I better check my Snowblower before I get kicked in the face lol

A sure sign of hobby obsession--complaining about good weather. :)

RenovationGeorge said:

Good weather? Where? Good weather is 20 degrees windy with 1-2 inches per hour with a warm fire!:)

iceman said:
RenovationGeorge said:

Good weather? Where? Good weather is 20 degrees windy with 1-2 inches per hour with a warm fire!:)

Aaaaaaand, I rest my case. :)

And I agree.

I hear ya Iceman . . . as an avid snowmobiler I hate winters without much cold or snow . . . on the otherhand my wife loves those types of winters.

So far most of the forecasts I've seen seem to indicate a warmer and less snowy winter (plus the farm pond is full now which my grandfather always said meant we would not get as much snow) . . . but for me the only time I really put much stock in these long range forecasts and even my venerable grandfather's observations is at the end of the winter . . .

iceman said:

I hear ya, man!! I'm above you a bit in North Adams and I say the same thing. Rain this time of year is absolutely depressing. If were going to get precip, let it be snow!! I always say, that as a kid, it seemed to snow all of the time and now it doesn't. If the weather man calls for snow, it rains.

For the last couple of years it seems when listening to our extended weather forecasts, they talked about keeping an eye on a storm sweeping up the coast, could be a doozy, yadda yadda yadda, only to find three days later it ends up being rain or nothing at all!!!!

Screw the snow AND the cold. Feel free to take every bit of both, that will more than likely pound us again this year.

I'm not really a Scrooge about it - I deal with it and don't complain, but if given the option...it sure as heck ain't gonna be winter. :coolsmirk:

Jags said:
Screw the snow AND the cold. Feel free to take every bit of both, that will more than likely pound us again this year.

I'm not really a Scrooge about it - I deal with it and don't complain, but if given the option...it sure as heck ain't gonna be winter. :coolsmirk:

Is this Hearth.com? Or "lovemytan.com" :) lol. How can you guys work so hard to get years ahead and then hope for warm weather? If I don't burn then no excuse for splitting and stacking!
BRING ON THE COLD! Enjoy it while you can 10 years from now we will be wearing shorts outside in DEC! LOL

iceman said:
How can you guys work so hard to get years ahead and then hope for warm weather? If I don't burn then no excuse for splitting and stacking!

I believe that would be called an epiphany. :coolsmirk:

I enjoy the wood work that comes with burning wood - but I enjoy fishing in my T-shirt, more. I enjoy the heat of the stove, but I enjoy a warm summer breeze, more. I like the fact that I replace 1000 gal of propane per year with a renewable resource, but I would like the option of not NEEDING propane, more. I like going out in the woods to process my wood, but I would like a nice quite walk without the chainsaw at my side, more.

iceman said:

I have no idea what you are talking about. Eastern PA and the Philly area broke all time record snow falls for last year.

iceman said:
Lol I have been waiting for winter since Sept 09! Last year everyone but us got winter!
We had 2 storms shut down schools and everything else , and got nothing for 1 storm and 2 inches from the other one ... they all stayed south...... I better check my Snowblower before I get kicked in the face lol

We had several very large, shut every thing down, type of storms with each one being larger than the previous and it snowed before Halloween last year. I got tired of shoveling spots for my dog to to find a place to crap. And shoveling snow off my roof ain't fun, either.

Ya'll are nuts. I would take your weather in a heart beat. One thing missing from the picture is wind. We had tons of trees come down. While some may see that as next year's wood supply, we see it as power failures at best and serious damage at worst. So far we know of on car crushed and a deck smashed at a couple places close to us. The wind was beating our house so hard I was concerned about the flue. You could see the windows flex under the pressure. And the cabinets (interior) wall in my office were creaking with the movement of the house. I'll take a mild wet winter any day.

+ 1 on the fishing in a T-shirt for me too!

This has been a mild fall for sure. But I have a feeling winter is going to come crashing in before too long. It always does. I still don't own a snow blower. Get out there and shovel it like a man.

Status
Not open for further replies.