Great score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
As many of you folks have discovered with older stoves, the parts can get tough to find, especially at affordable prices.

A few days ago (a recent thread I posted) saw a draft fan failure in our Whirfield Prodigy 2

I did have a spare exhaust motor assembly (Cooler fan, exhaust impeller, motor) on the shelf, and so it was only a minor annoyance to rip the "Widdle" stove apart and swap out the parts.

The blower fan on these is a far different story, and is no longer produced (At least not an exact replacement)
Other parts like the top exhaust fan housing (Casting) have long since vanished from dealers shelves, and likely there are few if any new ones still in existence. These are not a normal replacement type part and should not normally fail (BUUUUTTTTT)

Auger motors are still available, as are the vacuum switches and other electronics, but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The price for parts and the time it takes to get them, especially when the Snow is going sideways can really make life miserable.

Having a good stock of repair parts is a must have.

I usually cruise Ebay off and on to snoop for Prodigy parts, and a few days ago, WOW WOW WOW
A fellow was parting out a Prodigy 2 and had all the goodies for sale, including the top casting,
The complete auger assembly including the motor, auger, bearings, wiring, vacuum switch, and much more.

Then there was the room air blower (an original)
The complete exhaust blower assembly with temp switch and wiring.
I contacted him (He lives fairly close) and we are discussing the purchase of the stove chassis as well.

He has the controller, but I have my complete custom control box I built a while back that is Soooooo much better than the original boards, so I will pass on that.

The prices on the items were great, so I just took it all.

Since purchasing the Prodigy in 2009 for only $200 (with floor pad) I have yet to see another one of these stoves for sale near me.

Gonna be a happy stove season with all the spare parts, even if I never need them :)

Ebay is such a wonderful place.

Stay warm troops

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.