Great video X27 VS X25

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014

22 minutes. What’s the cliff notes version?

I watch that channel a bit. It’s good content for firewood lovers/hoarders.

22 minutes. What’s the cliff notes version?
The shorter one (x25) is shorter...

And he likes them both. The shorter one you need to whack harder, and it's more dangerous for your feet.

Nice video if you want to see wood splitting. Other than that a poor one at discussing pros and cons of the two models.

But that's my opinion. I learned nothing than that he likes fiskars (me too) and he likes the longer one better.

I just bought the 36" about 2 days ago. I asked the guy at home depot if they carry axes and he said 'we do but not the one you're looking for. Go to Canadian Tire and get the Fiskars 36" wood splitting axe. It's all you'll ever need.' So I did.

WHACK!

I got the black handled version of the X27 they sell at Lowe’s. I love it.

That sucker is sharp too. I’ve lightly grazed myself a couple times while just handling it, and it will make you bleed easily.

I have an older Fiskars axe that has been a solid companion in the woods for years.

Reactions: Prof
I got the black handled version of the X27 they sell at Lowe’s. I love it.

That sucker is sharp too. I’ve lightly grazed myself a couple times while just handling it, and it will make you bleed easily.

I have an older Fiskars axe that has been a solid companion in the woods for years.
Yeah mines the black one too. Here's a good vid on safely splitting some wood. Was a good help to me.

Reactions: stoveliker
I heard you can't hammer behind the head of this though like a maul or splitter. It's on thing I don't like about the axe. Not that I need it atm but perhaps in the future I'll need to invest in the maul.

I heard you can't hammer behind the head of this though like a maul or splitter. It's on thing I don't like about the axe. Not that I need it atm but perhaps in the future I'll need to invest in the maul.
I use my maul the most. Then the X17 to make kindling and the x27 the least. It I had nothing but straight grained oak the X27 would be my first choice. But on stringy knotty yard yellow pines the maul wins.

Reactions: Split
I use my maul the most. Then the X17 to make kindling and the x27 the least. It I had nothing but straight grained oak the X27 would be my first choice. But on stringy knotty yard yellow pines the maul wins.
My kindling splitter bought in June

Kindling Cracker King Firewood Kindling Splitter - XL Size https://a.co/d/5wT6qYd

I want to keep my thumbs. Lol. Actually it looks really rustic and great with a flower pot in it.

Reactions: EbS-P
I use my x27 the most. Both for oak, as well as knotty (top of the trunk) pitch pine, and everything in between. (No elm experience though.)

Occasionally I revert to my maul to get the first split of a round (when they have laaarge knots), but after that I immediately go back to the x27. It's light and splits easily. It does just cut through knots (as in cutting the fibers), because it's that sharp.

Reactions: EbS-P
I love my x27. It is my go to. I picked up an x25 as well, but it mostly sits unused. I have swung it less than a hundred times and had some VERY dangerous close encounters with my feet and shins. I honestly don't see a reason to ever use it again.

I like the X25, even being almost 6' tall I find the X27 too long.

Just an FYI the black handled version isn't quite the same as the X series. I bought a 28" chopping axe for my uncle after breaking his el-cheapo axe, it's not the same as the X25, the X25 is 4lbs and the chopping axe only 2.5lbs. It got returned and Amazon is bringing me the X25 on Monday.

The X27 and the black handled 36" super splitting axe are the same weight, but the handle is slightly different and I find the X series better here too.

For those in Canada, both the 28" and 36" Fiskars axes are on sale at Canadian Tire for 20% off until Sept 15th.

Last edited:

Just an FYI the black handled version isn't quite the same as the X series. I bought a 28" chopping axe for my uncle after breaking his el-cheapo axe, it's not the same as the X25, the X25 is 4lbs and the chopping axe only 2.5lbs. It got returned and Amazon is bringing me the X25 on Monday.

The X27 and the black handled 36" super splitting axe are the same weight, but the handle is slightly different and I find the X series better here too.

For those in Canada, both the 28" and 36" Fiskars axes are on sale at Canadian Tire for 20% off until Sept 15th.
Now? I just bought one. Gotta find my receipt!

I'm looking for the hatchet version of the fiskars, nice to have on your side when using the log splitter on stringy stuff.

I'm looking for the hatchet version of the fiskars, nice to have on your side when using the log splitter on stringy stuff.
Not sure why it's quoting you, twice.
BUT - the hatchet version is decent. I have two, one at home and one at my cabin. Home for splitting wood for a wood pizza oven, cabin for cabin things.
One thing I will say is, it's better than the other garbage they sell at the big box stores. I think it is too expensive honestly, but it is nice that it comes with a little blade guard that you snap on and off with a clip. It is also fairly sharp. As in one good wack on your finger and you will likely loose the finger.
Only problem I have with it, is that the blade is a bit thinner than most. Not sure if that will eventually snap due to off center hits? Doubtful unless severe and against a hard surface like a rock with full force...even then but it was something I considered.
They did this to reduce weight on the head, because the arm (I cant say shaft...ok there I did) of the axe is SO light. It's just this plastic like hollow tube. This will probably break before the axe head honestly.
Whats the big deal? Well when you swing down ...make sure you swing DOWN and not at an arc. Because the head will swing around toward your body as the arm of the axe is SO light. I noticed that right away using this little hatchet. I like it, but I am aware of the limitation or design flaw even, of having such a light arm.

Yeah mines the black one too. Here's a good vid on safely splitting some wood. Was a good help to me.

I like this method for some pieces.

Here is the method I use. This is the only video I could find for some reason:

Skip to 2:12. Not sure why the guy is measuring prior to etc. Just pile a bunch of logs together, use a beefy strap (you can use a small one too but logs slip a bit more). Center the strap, go to town. Tighten a bit, go back to splitting. Ive yet to slice any of my straps also.
My firewood delivered is large because "his customers like larger pieces for wood burning furnaces / stoves". He's the cheapest so I deal with it. I usually have to split at least a third of the logs a couple of times. My splitter died on me, so this is what I did before I bought a splitter and now. Takes alot of energy, wears you out so take breaks. But you can easily re split a cord with 4-5 say 5' circles.

ABMax24,

Thanks for the heads up on that price! Saved myself 20 bucks. Did a price protection this morning. Now my Fiskars 36" is even better! Thanks again. That's one Maritimer to another! Lololol.

Last edited:
Reactions: ABMax24
I have the heavy fiscars isocore maul. I think it’s different than the x25 and x27? I’m not sure, but the thing is bad ass. I couldn’t possibly split the knotty old oak I do with a splitting axe, I find them to be way more work.

Great video X27 VS X25

Yes , different than the x27. I have both.

If I ever get a maul that will be the one.
the thing is great, it's like Thor's hammer, lol
I've tried some of the lighter mauls and splitting axes, and i don't know how people do it. Maybe it's cause i am usually splitting old knotty Oak that's 24"+ in diameter and 18" long, or maybe cause i'm a skinny weakling, but I could never get it done without it.

For big pieces I often use the maul to get it in halfs or quarters. From then on the x27 works better for me. In fact, the x27, being as sharp as it is, I sometimes am able to whack through knots (cutting the fibers).
It's a different beast, but the maul has its place for sure. (I have used a sledge hammer on the back of the maul too to get where I need to be...)

Reactions: tabner