Green Lantern Tree (I think)- Good firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mambwe

Feb 11, 2021
North East
I'm having a tree taken down and I asked them to leave me the wood. They're telling me it is not good firewood and I shouldn't keep it. I'm new to burning wood and don't even have my stove yet, so I'm not sure what to believe. Are they trying to charge me more to take it away?

The tree has three sided pods on it.

view-of-branch.jpg

Just keep it and let it season. Regardless of what they say, any wood will burn just fine if it's seasoned. Whether they are trying to charge you more to haul it away or not, I don't know. I guess that's where two different prices would come in helpful.

Yes, any wood dried out enough will burn, but you have to consider how much storage space you have to season it. For instance, cottonwood and weeping willow will eventually dry out enough to burn, but then you have to load the stove every 45 minutes. If you are space limited, then cutting, splitting and stacking a poor quality wood will crowd out storage space for higher quality wood that you will need to get to that 3+ year supply level that we all preach about here. If you have a large amount of storage space and an excess of energy and manpower to process it, have at it. I learned long ago that the return for the amount of time, energy and chainsaw gas for these crap woods is too low to justify.

Well.....its better then the wood you currently have. Cut. Split. And stack it! Unless there is something unusual about that tree I do not see why not. What type of tree is it?

Golden rain tree? I had one the wood was rock hard. Had to cut it into chunks.

Yes, it's goldenrain tree (Koelreuteria paniculata), an exotic that is slightly invasive.
It's used as a landscape with pretty lead oxide yellow flower panicles, which arguably turn into unsightly, annoying seed pods.
Years ago, the first time I tried to burn GR, it sat on the coals like a wet rag (kind of like unseasoned black or honey locust); however, I removed my neighbors tree and allowed it to season long-enough and it burns well. I still wouldn't travel much past my neighbor's yard for goldenrain wood. There isn't a lick of straight wood in the tree. Between its twists and knots it's difficult to split and stack a nicely.

If nothing else, it would be good for an outdoor fire pit, if you have one.

Reactions: D8Chumley