1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Greene Team almost gone....FINALLY...!!

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by geek, Mar 17, 2013.

1. geek

geek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    Only about 10 bags left.

I've been having so huge clinkers in my NPS45 with this brand that I won't even look at it again, solid-rock clinkers in less that 24 hour burn....::-)

My Santa Fe can handle it better but even the Santa Fe is getting big clinkers in the pot.

Picked up a Maine Wood hardwood at BT yesterday and it is burning very nice so far.
    Also picked up 2 bags of Maine Wood softwood, 1 bag of Logik-e (blend?) and 1 bag of Vermont.softwood.

Now I wonder what should I do b/c I think my stash won't last until the end of this season, all Lowes has is Green Supreme which I don't like.

Maybe by a single ton of MW hardwood at BT and haul it in 2 trips using the mini van?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PoolGuyinCT

PoolGuyinCT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Plymouth CT
    I just broke into my 2011 green teams, bags are identical and in one stack. I know they are 2011 because, I drew a line with a sharpie on the 2012s as I was stacking.

I must say they are a totally different pellet, the 2011 are much light and far cleaner burn with equal heat to the 2012.

They dropped quality and raised price in mye eyes. Too bad, I really do enjoy the 2011 vintage.
  3. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    That was my experience with Greene Team,.. I had the first run of the 2012 batch.... wont buy them again.
    Harman Lover 007 likes this.
  4. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    I burned gts almost exclusively last year and once Lowes raised their prices on them I turned my head and didn't look back.
    Harman Lover 007 and PoolGuyinCT like this.
  5. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    I had 25 bags left over from either 2010 or 11 that I bought before the price increase. The ash was out of control. Like others have said, I won't buy them at the higher price.
    Harman Lover 007 likes this.
  6. imacman

imacman Guest

Been burning GT's all winter....NO issues with them at all. I'd buy again in a heartbeat.

Me thinks some of you have stoves that have been burning all winter and need a real DEEP cleaning. NEVER had a clinker, or anything close to one in my stove with them. Don't like them?.......send 'em my way.
    will711 and Woody1911a1 like this.
  7. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    I've never had a clinker in my stove with any brand of pellets. My issue with the GT's is ash, which isn't a big deal in my stove. I dealt with it when the price was right, but not at the price they want for them now.
  8. whlago

whlago Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Connecticut
    At this point in the season anything (green supremes included) should burn good enough to get you through to fishing season. I know the cold weather is holding on lately but before we know it taking the chill out is all we'll be doing with the stoves.
  9. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    GT's turned the inside of my stove black. Won't buy again.
    gbreda likes this.
  10. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    ^this^ ditto i'd even bought some overpriced spruce points for that single digit spell , but after burning a few bags i dumped them in favor of GT's :)
  11. geek

geek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    as a matter of fact I've been cleaning my unit frequently, using leaf blower method.

I just poured a bag of maine woods hardwood and it burned nice..!!
    gbreda likes this.
  12. Dollabill

Dollabill New Member

Loc:
    Between Augusta and Lewiston Maine
    Subsailor do you like MVPs better ? I see in a post here today that they are 188 a ton @ Lowes in Gusta
  13. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    MWP'S? At Lowes? I'll have to check that out. Lowe's in Augusta usually sells GT's and Maine Choice, not the MWP's. HD had the MWP's earlier this yeat at $197.

To answer your question, it's a tossup. I don't get the ash from the MWP that I got from the GT's, but I haven't bought any since 2011. I suspect, though, that the GT's were a little hotter.
    gbreda likes this.
  14. PoolGuyinCT

PoolGuyinCT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Plymouth CT

Too much information lol
  15. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    GT's drop way too much ash for me and had me emptying ash
    pan far sooner than I care too. Lowes here sells em for $260 rip off imo.
    For a little more I get Okies or La Cretes that burn hotter and
    more importantly to me three times cleaner
    and the ash pan can go three weeks before it's full.
  16. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    GT's are definately trash:p
  17. gbreda

gbreda Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    I used GT in my first year burning (2009) and they were fine but I learned all about softwood that year as well. The following year I bought softwood for the mid winter and a ton of GT for shoulders. The 2010 GT turned my stove black as can be and was a beatch to clean. Friend had a same issue with an XXV. Have not touched them since
  18. ScotL

ScotL Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    MWP is not a vendor with Lowes.
  19. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    My area Lowes just got some in and I picked up a dozen, they seem to burn all right. They were 5.20 a bag and are the Platinum's very little fines in each bag.:cool:
  20. MCPO

MCPO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western Ma , close to NY state border
    One thing I`ve learned is that it`s hard to judge any of these box store pellet brands soley by someone elses experience. You have to try a sample bag or two in your stove before you pass judgement.
    Then you have to decide if the cost vs the heat output is worth it while giving equal consideration to the ash content , fines, and dust and whether or not you have to do more frequent cleanings.
    I wish there were some Oakanagans, Barefoots, Turmans , Blazers, Cubex,Hamers or Spruce Points available in my end of the state. The high price might be worth it after all.
    I don`t think I`ve ever had a real good pellet in my stove unless the overpriced Heartlands (sold at LP Adams Lumber Co.) is thought to be one.
  21. SXIPro

SXIPro Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern MA
    The same holds true for all pellets, not just box store stuff. Try before you buy in all cases.
  22. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    275$ here. I can get Spruce Pointe, Northern, or Vermont's for an extra $10.
  23. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    My sister and brother-in-law both burned GT's in 2011-2012 season and the insides of their p68's were black too.
  24. subsailor

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    I put my last bag in the hopper last night and I could tell within minutes of when they hit the burnpot based upon the increased ash generation. I scraped the burnpost clear of ash before I went to bed last night. When I got up this morning (Less than 7 hours later) the ash ws already falling off the front of the burnpot. None of the other pellets I've burned this winter generated anywhere near that amount after 12 hours. These had a code of 9-10 in the upper left hand corner on the front of the bag. It was one thing to buy these when they were under $200 but not at the prices they want for them today.