Greetings and SUMMIT INSTALL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forvols

Dec 6, 2007
NORTHEAST TN
Hello,

Great site very informative. My question is regarding installation: I have a quoted install price of 3200.00 for the following
PE SUMMIT INSERT
SS chimney liner
We are located in Northeast TN.

Heating a log home, fireplace is in the great room approx. 20X30, 20ft ceiling / rest of the house is fairly open floor plan 3bedroom upstairs, dining room, kitchen, 1bedroom down stairs (total sqft approx 2300). Currently have a prefab fireplace with large stone chimney and hearth (stone chimney goes from floor to ceiling on wall of great room).

Does this sound like a good price and is the SUMMIT a good selection for the house. I will use the summit(or other choice jotul maybe..not set on the summit yet) for probably 60-70at this year and next (if all goes well) plan on using for 100%. I have 17acres of beech, oak, hickory, popular, sicamore and few pine. Currently have an electric 2 zone central air and heat system. Last winter our electric in winter was 320.00 - 400.00 . summer is 180-220.

Take all recommendations and advice.

Thanks
Tony

Sounds like a nice price to me too. Is the chimney on an interior wall or exterior wall? Does the price include a block-off plate below the damper?

Thanks for the replies, The chimney is on an exterior wall. I dont know about the block off plate. I am not sure what that does either. If some one would explain, is it a good recommendation or is it a necessary for the install?

Yep, 3200 is a good price, Go for it and welcome to the Brotherhood of the PE Summit owners.

You will soon hear from greats like Elk, Hogg, JFK, Roospike, Gunner , and many many others. We are the toughest clan out there proudly displaying pics of our burning beasts. While others can only dream of a 12-14 hour burn, we just see this as an everyday experience. While others are starting a fire day in and day out, we just simply lay down some more wood and watch the stove take off again. And finally while others don't even know what a secondary burn really is, we just smile for hours as we watch our stove do magic.

Oh boy you are in for a life changing experience, an experience only a PE Summt owner can truly get. OK maybe I am laying it on pretty thick here, have I told you yet that I love my stove...

Enjoy!!!!

forvols said:
Thanks for the replies, The chimney is on an exterior wall. I dont know about the block off plate. I am not sure what that does either. If some one would explain, is it a good recommendation or is it a necessary for the install?

Nice price Forvals.
Depending on your local code, a block off plate may or may not be neccessary from a building code point of view. Your insurance company might or might not also require one. Talk to your installer (assuming they are legit and accredited), they can give you the scoop without having to potentially open a can of worms with your insurance company if you don't have to.

I didn't need, and didn't use a block off plate, but the liner is well insulated and the top cap is well sealed with a flashing against the chimney collar.

Oh, and a block off plate is just a steel plate that attaches in your chimney opening about, or just above or below where your fireplace damper used to be. I guess the idea is that it closes off the area around the liner in case you ever have a chimney/liner fire and to block off any drafts coming down the chimney, but again, the insulation and top flashing on my install does that.
We jammed as much high temp fibreglass batt insulation as we could around the liner, shoving it down 6 feet or so from the top and then sealed the flashing with high-temp silicone. Liner draws just fine, with an exterior brick chimney and regular -40 degree temps.

Willhound

The intent of a block off plate is to stop the stove from trying to heat the entire chimney masonry assembly as well. When the flue is lined, but no block off plate, there can be a tremendous heat loss. This can dramatically reduce stove efficiency. We've had several folks with complaints of underperforming inserts on exterior chimneys. The addition of an insulated blockoff plate was all it took to get them heating well again.

forvols, ask your dealer if the flue liner will be insulated (required) and whether a block off plate will be installed.

FWIW, fiberglass batt insulation is not appropriate. It has a melting point of about 600 degrees. Far below the rating of the flue pipe or potential temps with a chimney fire. Kaowool or ceramic blanket insulation is better.

Here's a fire in the Summit. :coolsmile:
Another nice thing about the Summit, is it has a baffle that is quick and easy to remove, which will help for your yearly cleaning.:)
You'll be happy with it, if that's what you pick.

Attachments

• 16 minutes after lighting.JPG
    16 minutes after lighting.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 326
Oooo, that's a really nice shot. Hmmmm, heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.