1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

grinding moter on Harman P61 Pellet Stove?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Jackie wallace, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Jackie wallace

Jackie wallace New Member

A week sgo one of our stoves started to make a grinding noise, my husband sprayed wd40 on the moter assuring me it was safe. The noise went away. Today it is back again. And actually sounded to me like the moter was slowing down almost to stop. So I tunred the stove to the off mode. Worried as I do not know 1) if it dangerous if the moter stops turning while the stove is in the on position? 2) Is it dangerous to spray wd40 on the moter while stove is on?
    3) what could the grinding be?
    My hubby is faithful in cleaning it throughly every week and takes the whole thing apart at the end of each season to clean it..

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jackie wallace

what could the grinding noise be from our harman p61 pellet stove. hubby sprayed wd40 on moter. stopped for a few days but is back again. almost stopped turning today, so I turned stove off.
  3. Jackie wallace

what could the grinding noise be coming from harman p61 pellet stove?
  4. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    "grinding noises"? Is it happening when the auger turns?
  5. kinsmanstoves

Loc:
    Spray Teflon lube on the auger bearing, remove the rear cover and it is in front of the auger motor.
  6. kinsmanstoves

Loc:
    Spray Teflon lube on the main auger bearing.
  7. PoolGuyinCT

PoolGuyinCT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Plymouth CT
    FYI wd is flammable
  8. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

clean the burnpot well too. If you are lubeing your motors and the sound goes away, likely your motor is on its very last legs........get it replaced.
  9. Harvey Schneider

Harvey Schneider Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    WD40 is not a great lubricant. Its claim to fame is Water Displacement on metal surfaces, hence the name WD40 (40th formulation trial). Any light oil will do a better and a more durable job of lubricating bearings. Don't try peanut butter, that only worked for Dennis the Menace.
    I have to agree with Lousyweather, if the bearings are making noise the motor will fail and should be replaced. Lubricating it is only a stop-gap measure to gain time to do the replacement.
    PoolGuyinCT likes this.
  10. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    When a bearing fails it can run the rotor into the stator and the real fireworks begin.
  11. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    The sign of a cold night:( I just had to. Three posts of the same.
  12. imacman

imacman Guest

To the OP (Jackie Wallace), please don't post your problem more than one time.....you have asked the same question in 2 of your own threads, and one of someone else's. Believe me, someone will see it.

I DO recommend changing how you word your title. It should have the Make & Model of the stove in it so those people that have expertise with them will respond.

For example, the title line of your 1st thread should have read " Harman P61 Grinding noise".

Also, please put that info (make, model, year made) into your signature line.
  13. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    I merged the two together, the redirect for the second thread will still appear for a short while but the content is merged.

pen
  14. imacman

imacman Guest

Nice job Pen ;)
  15. imacman

imacman Guest

Since you didn't fill in your signature line as I suggested, what year is this stove? Did you buy it new, or used?
  16. Jackie wallace

Thankyou everyone. I will show my hubby your feedback. Yes sorry, I did post three times as it was my first time and it was not posting for me, so I thought perhaps I had written to many words. Thankyou for the guidance on how to post.
  17. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    I just had my auger replaced yesterday. It had been squealing since Sunday with an occasional grinding noise. Clean everything, especially the fines box. My problem was the auger bearing. Motor was fine, just changed out the auger and its up and running. What year is your stove?
  18. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

yea, squeeks can be tough.....process of elimination......and sometimes a cold stove wont squeek, and it'll only squeek when warm.......whistles are bad too......