Guidance on building Mantle behind Morso 7110 wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithO

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2007
Jackson, MI
In researching suitable wood stoves for my great room, I narrowed my choices down to the Jotul 3CB and Morso 7110. Right now I'm favoring the 7110 because of tighter instalation clearances, particularly behind. The space where the stove will be installed is basically an aisleway. I am deviating from my original idea to get a more symetrical layout and have the stove closer to the seating area where it can both be seen and appreciated.

I have read the Morso 7110 install manual several times but am still not clear on what clearances I need to maintain if I was to install a mantle above the stove. It appears that vertically 16" is the minimum and the double wall pipe requires 6" minimum (or 2" in the case of class A). The clearance behind the stove (from the wall) is 6.5" and the clearance on the side to combustibles is 16". So, if the stove is 23" wide, and I make the mantel 32"+23" =55" inside dimension I should be OK ? Height wise, the stove is about 27" high, so allowing 16" that gives a height to the underside of the mantel of 43" minimum ? Am I on the right track ?

I would not make the mantel more than 8" wide and the sides probably less than 6". Since at 6" depth from the wall I am not even flush with the side of the stove yet, I am not clear if the 16" clearance need apply. Obviously I would like the mantel to look nice and I'm not sure if the mantel is going to look oversized based on these dimensions. If anything, the height could be increased a little, but the width seems very wide subjectively.

Any suggestions ?

Attachments

• Great room.jpg
    Great room.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 662
Well, still haven't settled on the stove or layout. I keep knocking different ideas around...

I got no takers on the clearance to a mantle behind a stove question. Has anyone installed a cast iron mantle surround like this ? http://www.gascoals.net/Portals/1/mantels/william-castironmantel.jpg

What rules does one follow to determine clearance to the mantel ? If it is outside the boundary of the required "floor protector" and within the clearance of the stovepipe (double wall) what rules apply ?

Why not a non combustiable mantle say out of marble. granite or bluestone ,same with the side pieces I have even seen them made out of molded plaster for side pilasters

Status
Not open for further replies.