1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Guy pulls in my driveway, wants to buy wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by bogydave, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Time to put up a sign

"Firewood for sale"
    "$999 per cord"
    "I measure - you haul"
    "burnable in 2014/15"

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Monosperma

Monosperma Member

Loc:
    Colorado/NewMexico
    That's when you pull out your cell phone and snap some friendly photos of them. Even if your phone doesn't have a working camera, how will they know? They probably won't be back.
    ScotO and Shadow&Flame like this.
  3. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA

Happened to you too,'eh? I dont tolerate any tresspassers.Someone rings the doorbell & I dont recognize them through the window- I ignore it.If I'm outside doing something & some stranger walks up to me shilling for someone/something they usually get the same response...."I cant be bothered right now,I'm very busy.Later isnt a good time either,I'm busy then too."
    ditchrider and Shadow&Flame like this.
  4. red oak

red oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwest Virginia
    LOL! A few years back I was splitting wood when a car came up the driveway that I didn't recognize. I walked up to the car, forgetting that I still had the ax in my hand. Older gentleman gets out and says I just wanted to give you some info on our church, no need to get the ax. I said you can't be too careful with some people these days. He left pretty quick and hasn't returned.
  5. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

A lost Oregonian walks into a bar in Alaska and pumps himself up while asking the bartender in a demanding bark, "Where can I get firewood?"
    Not even flinching or wondering why someone from Oregon would venture that far north looking for firewood, never mind figuring out why someone would walk into a bar in Alaska looking for firewood, or the fact that it was Novenber and so late in the season to be wanting firewood, the bartender simply looked up and replied, "Go see Dave." <>

My brother and I go to the coast at times and we usually wander into a coastal bar or two around Tillimook, and we ask how we can get to Canada, or "Are are we in Canada yet?" That usually puts them off guard and gets them wondering about us pretty fast. Next time I will ask if we are in Alaska yet, and then ask if anyone there has any firewood for sale.
    ditchrider and rideau like this.
  6. JoeyD

JoeyD Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Jersey
    Love it! When people ask why I don't sell some of my firewood and I tell them because no one could afford to pay as much as it is worth to me they just don't sem to understand.
  7. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Good idea ;)
  8. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Hello Alaska man. I trade you my bear for your firewoods, yes?

borat bear.jpg
  9. Shadow&Flame

Shadow&Flame Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Arkansas
    This post just made me think of one time a guy in a hummer came up to my house. I was in the yard working and he came walking up to me when his phone rang...when I started to ask what he wanted he held up his finger and gave me an odd look and started walking around talking on the phone.
    I went back to work and then when he came back, after the phone call, I held up a different finger and asked him if he wanted to stay for the azz kicking or leave....
  10. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    You should have blown his mind and denied it was in fact firewood. Tell him it is a fence to keep out bears and cookie selling girl scouts....then fake a facial tick and ask him if he wants to come inside and meet your pet sasquatch.
  11. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Bear to small
    This a bear:
    DSCF0088.JPG
    albert1029 and StihlHead like this.
  12. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    You let 'em get that far?
    Unless I'm way out back, I can see or hear when someone pulls in. They're barely out of the car before I'm out the door telling them to leave.
    Unless it's a friend or relative. I let them stay. Usually.:cool:
    I like the " I'm busy right now, and I'll be busy later too" line, except I don't usually even bother having any kind of conversation.
  13. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Looks like I may have to send you a couple of my woodstack "No Trespassing" posters to keep da bassturds out......

If these don't work, I'll be up. I'm all about helping a former Pennsy resident......

ScottyPosted.JPG
  14. bogydave

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Thanks Scotty
    Will call if needed ;)
    ScotO likes this.
  15. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    I'm partial to this sign myself...

images.jpg
  16. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Eh, I do not post no tresspassing signs here. They are so common that they are ignored.

I posted this instead, from Front Site where I train on various weapons:

no tresspassing.jpg
  17. Shadow&Flame

Shadow&Flame Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Arkansas
    41uDhAf34AL.jpg
  18. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

19. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    Probably part of Tom McCall's environmental cleanup program.;lol He was also known for saying "Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't come here to live." I always loved that line (but I stayed anyway).
  20. BrianK

BrianK Guest

21. Seanm

Seanm Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE BC Canadian Rockies
    I had a small amount of bucked rounds behind the house (maybe half a cord) but on the other side of the fence and a friend said to me dont you think you should bring that in? What if someone thinks its free! Im not all that worried. I did take a picture though in case things dont seem quite right! Bloody warm here right now!!
  22. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    I'd of at least put someone in the picture that was bigger than the saw ;lol
    basod and ScotO like this.
  23. ditchrider

ditchrider Burning Hunk

Loc:
    North central, CO
    +1
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  24. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

A few years ago I had a guy stop while I was mowing and ask if I would sell some maple to him. My response was how much would you pay he said t was for a bonfire because it was just soft stuff like pine !!! so only 15 a face ! I started to laugh out loud at that and he asked what was so funny so I told him. I love soft maple and burn it all heating season when I can it puts out great heat and little creosote when it is dry and for that matter I love pine too! His response was very shocked that anyone would burn soft wood. That led to a long discussion on drying times and he ended up leaving without any thinking I was nuts ;lol.

Pete
    Backwoods Savage and ScotO like this.
  25. ditchrider

ditchrider Burning Hunk

Loc:
    North central, CO
    I'm going to remember that one. I bet you could sell that Idea to Monty Python.
    ScotO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.