Guy wants $225/cord. Is this a good deal? Need some help here.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewtownPA

Feb 15, 2007
Newtown, PA
Hey,

I'm looking to buy 3 cords of wood and I called around and the going price around here is $225/Cord for "seasoned" wood. I can't find a place that sells green wood for cheap. One guy I talked to has been in the business for 20 years and gets his wood "imported" from the forests of west-central Pennsylvania, not local wood. He sells to restaurants etc. He seemed like a really nice guy - was on the phone with him for 30 minutes. He is selling at $225/cord. In a friendly way he says "You get what you pay for." He invited me to take a look at his 20 cords that he's got on his property.

The other guy I used to get wood from is an older man in my Church. He sells wood "on-the-side" just to keep fit; however his wood is not such good quality and the last cord I got from him he charged $165 (usually it's $180) and it was sizzling...

So... what should I do?

Hogwildz, did you say you had "connections" around this area (Newtown)?

I'm looking to buy the wood soon since I will be transporting it across my lawn in a wheelbarrow and if I'm going to destroy my lawn then now is a good time so I can reseed.

-Nathan

Buy good hardwood as cheap as you can, is the only issue with the old timer the sizzling? Let is season if its too green, time doesnt cost anything ans as long as its off the ground it will dry out.

babalu87 said:
Buy good hardwood as cheap as you can, is the only issue with the old timer the sizzling? Let is season if its too green, time doesnt cost anything ans as long as its off the ground it will dry out.

The other issue I have with the older fellow is that it's really sporadic what I'll get. There are some nice pieces mixed in with bad ones, some heavy pieces and some that look like Mr. Neighbour had his trees trimmed. It's mostly good, though - from what I can tell. That said, I'm not very experienced in firewood so I don't really know what to look for, but when I see photos on this forum of people's wood stacks their wood looks so nice compared to what I get... I'm just not sure....

This guy sells to restaurants, does that mean his wood is somehow "better" (he even sells to my favourite pizza shop in town)?

Maybe I could get 1.5 cords from this guy and 1.5 from the older guy.

$225/cord??!?!?! I must be in heaven, paying $60/cord. Be careful "importing" wood. Here in Ohio, it is illegal to move firewood 'cuz we got ourselves a nice little friend called the emerald ash borer, courtesy of global trade with Asia. It's working its way down to central Ohio from Michigan, and the ash tree is in great danger. Butternuts are suffering the same fate as the American Chestnut due to the introduction of a nice new fungus thy're not resistant to. Try to get your wood as "local" as you can.

Mike from Athens said:
$225/cord??!?!?! I must be in heaven, paying $60/cord. Be careful "importing" wood. Here in Ohio, it is illegal to move firewood 'cuz we got ourselves a nice little friend called the emerald ash borer, courtesy of global trade with Asia. It's working its way down to central Ohio from Michigan, and the ash tree is in great danger. Butternuts are suffering the same fate as the American Chestnut due to the introduction of a nice new fungus thy're not resistant to. Try to get your wood as "local" as you can.

$60/cord - I would stop hauling my own free wood for that price :)

p.s. A new to the U.S. "stink bug" is on its way to you right now, spreading from China to northeast PA (made it to us last year, its terrible, and they say it will eventually cross the entire country, but Ohio will probably get it within a year or two). It has NO predators, birds can't stand it, it gets in your house, and every other crack and crevase it can find over winter. Oh, and when you crush it, it literally STINKS.

In case you're interested in reading about the economic, social, and ecological impacts of a non-native pest - here's ODNR's story on the emerald ash borer...think twice about moving or "importing" wood. This can happen anywhere...

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/health/eab.htm

tradergordo said:
p.s. A new to the U.S. "stink bug" is on its way to you right now, spreading from China to northeast PA (made it to us last year, its terrible, and they say it will eventually cross the entire country, but Ohio will probably get it within a year or two). It has NO predators, birds can't stand it, it gets in your house, and every other crack and crevase it can find over winter. Oh, and when you crush it, it literally STINKS.

Not to get off topic, but are you talking about the "Brown Marmorated Stinkbug"? My house gets a lot of stink bugs. Next time I see one I'll check to see if it is one of these. Why are these stink bugs any worse than other ones?

Images here:
http://www.insectimages.org/browse/subimages.cfm?sub=9328

-Nathan

NewtownPA said:
tradergordo said:

Not to get off topic, but are you talking about the "Brown Marmorated Stinkbug"? My house gets a lot of stink bugs. Next time I see one I'll check to see if it is one of these. Why are these stink bugs any worse than other ones?

Images here:
http://www.insectimages.org/browse/subimages.cfm?sub=9328

-Nathan

That's the one!
http://www.ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/brownMarmoratedstinkbug.htm
It had never been on our continent until recently. I am not familiar with any other kind of stink bug so I couldn't tell you how they compare, all I know is that these invaded us a year or two back and they are really annoying! They land on the TV screens, they come out every time the house warms up, they damage apple crops, etc. Who knows how many gallons of water I've wasted flushing them down the toilet (because you don't want to crush them).

"Unlike other stink bug species, the BMSB will enter homes and other buildings seeking warm, overwintering sites, and become a nuisance pest. This behavior resulted in many complaints to the Lehigh County Extension in Allentown (Jacobs and Bernhard 2003). "

I think its time to learn the stealth wood burner and scrounger 101. Taught by Mo heat. The follow up course is Wood man 102. The course covers the ins and out dealing with the wood man What is a rick a face cord and full cord ? Note the woodman's cord seems to be measured using a smaller 128 Cu ft.
Course 3 103 how to scrounge. At this time of year boy does $225 sound high for a cord. Does your state offer state forest wood cutting permits? What does the DPW do with all the down trees does your town have a branch wood drop off area?

NewtownPA said:
Hey,

I'm looking to buy 3 cords of wood and I called around and the going price around here is $225/Cord for "seasoned" wood. I can't find a place that sells green wood for cheap. One guy I talked to has been in the business for 20 years and gets his wood "imported" from the forests of west-central Pennsylvania, not local wood. He sells to restaurants etc. He seemed like a really nice guy - was on the phone with him for 30 minutes. He is selling at $225/cord. In a friendly way he says "You get what you pay for." He invited me to take a look at his 20 cords that he's got on his property.

The other guy I used to get wood from is an older man in my Church. He sells wood "on-the-side" just to keep fit; however his wood is not such good quality and the last cord I got from him he charged $165 (usually it's $180) and it was sizzling...

So... what should I do?

Hogwildz, did you say you had "connections" around this area (Newtown)?

I'm looking to buy the wood soon since I will be transporting it across my lawn in a wheelbarrow and if I'm going to destroy my lawn then now is a good time so I can reseed.

-Nathan

Its been a while since I was doing firewood delivery in Bucks County. Back in the mid 80's to early 90's it was going for $135.00 a cord I guess $225.00 is the going rate if thats what you have been finding. Personally, at $165.00 a cord, I'd buy that and let it season. You won't be needing it until next winter. You'll get more wood for your money and if most of its good, It sounds like your best deal to me. Just cause the other guy is selling to restaurants etc, doesn't necessarily mean its any better. Imported means nothing accept as others stated, importing critters. Its the restaurants & others high dollar folks buying it of him that affords him to sell it at $225.00.per cord. I would go with the older feller and his more reasonably priced cords. Did you ask for bulk purchase discount from both of them? Say buy 6 cords and maybe the old feller will knock it down to $135.00 or whatever you negotiate for a bulk purchase?
I have a landscaping bud in Southampton, I will give him a call and see if he has any or has any connections.
I don't know you acreage or lack of, but another option is having a truck load of logs dropped on your property and processing it yourself. I have heard of 8 cord truck loads around here for about $500-$600.00. I might look into it myself, but I think I have enough felled trees all around me to keep me in free wood for life I am hoping.
I bought my 3 loads this year locally, 2 from a excavator ranging from 2-1/2-3 cords each load at $150.00 a load. Another was fresh downed trees from a tree guy that cut about 4 cords worth of trees down to clear land for the new town public library. These might be two places to call around to down your way. Meaning excavators & tree services.

With most bugs like that, if you just put some dish soap in a small cup and fill 3/4 with water, then put the bug in that and they will die. It's the same with those darned bugs that look like lady bugs, but aren't. My wife uses an empty yogurt container and just puts the bugs in that. Empties it only too often. On the good side they weren't so bad last year so not as many got inside the house. Not sure what these new things will be like though.

tradergordo said:
Mike from Athens said:

$60/cord - I would stop hauling my own free wood for that price :)

In the Scranton/Wilkes Barre, Penna. area would is going for around $110 to 135 a cord seasoned, split, and usually delivered.
We already have the stink bugs in our area.

John

225 seems really overpriced. I live in Hunterdon county NJ, borders bucks and prices are 165-200 delivered. If you're buying 3 or more cords I would think the price might be a bit cheaper. NJ is typically more expensive than Bucks County so I suspect you can definately find someone much cheaper than 225. If the church guy has been giving you a real cord, i'd go with him. For 3 cords, I'd ask if he'd do it for 450.

I live in northern Bucks County in the Riegelsville area. Two years ago was my fist season with the new stove. I purchased three cords from Buckscountyfirewood.com. Since then I've been able to get most of my wood for free. I have a truck and scavenge for wood or people call me when they take a tree down and they don't want the wood.

I think I paid $165.00 a cord. His wood was pretty good. Mostly hard wood with very little poplar. Check him out, I'm not sure if he delivers to southern Bucks County but it might be worth a call?

http://www.buckscountyfirewood.com/

Riegel said:
I live in northern Bucks County in the Riegelsville area. Two years ago was my fist season with the new stove. I purchased three cords from Buckscountyfirewood.com. Since then I've been able to get most of my wood for free. I have a truck and scavenge for wood or people call me when they take a tree down and they don't want the wood.

I think I paid $165.00 a cord. His wood was pretty good. Mostly hard wood with very little poplar. Check him out, I'm not sure if he delivers to southern Bucks County but it might be worth a call?

http://www.buckscountyfirewood.com/

Thank you for responding.

This place looks GREAT! I'm going to call them to see if they will deliver to Newtown - hopefully with no fee.

Riegel,

Thanks for letting me know about that place. I ordered 2.5 cords of wood and it arrived today - really good pieces IMHO.

I paid $170 / cord for this wood. Good deal.

Here's a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0806.jpg
    IMG_0806.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 344
Looks like a good load.

There's a company in Limerick that I've dealt with before. They give some goofy looking pieces, but all hardwood. And the price can't be beat. It was $99 a cord two years ago, but I believe now its at $120. Still a bargain.

Check them out:

http://marchlimerick.com/

NewtownPA,
Wow, fast delivery! I guess this is the best time of year to order it. I placed my order in August and waited until mid October for delivery. That was right after Hurricane Katrina and the oil prices went through the roof. Helverson couldn't keep up with the orders. He also delivers mulch. I got 7 yards last spring from him. It was also nice suff.

I just Glad I offer some good info!

Riegel said:
NewtownPA,
Wow, fast delivery! I guess this is the best time of year to order it. I placed my order in August and waited until mid October for delivery. That was right after Hurricane Katrina and the oil prices went through the roof. Helverson couldn't keep up with the orders. He also delivers mulch. I got 7 yards last spring from him. It was also nice suff.

I just Glad I offer some good info!

My house is 100% electric (no gas or oil) - so this wood burning business really does help keep my heating costs down; plus it's a lot of fun for pyromaniacs like me. :)

Thanks again for the tip. I ordered on Tuesday and it arrived on Thursday! No delivery fee even though I'm at the other end of the county.

-Nathan

Corie said:
Looks like a good load.

There's a company in Limerick that I've dealt with before. They give some goofy looking pieces, but all hardwood. And the price can't be beat. It was $99 a cord two years ago, but I believe now its at $120. Still a bargain.

Check them out:

http://marchlimerick.com/

Corie,

Thanks for the tip. $120/cord is a good deal. I have found that the further away from the city you go the cheaper firewood is. Limerick is really quite far from me.

Keep us posted on the actual amount you received once it's stacked. I'd say you got a full 2 there, but it's always nice to know the exact amount for reference. I'm trying to improve my "estimating".

FuzzyOne said:
Keep us posted on the actual amount you received once it's stacked. I'd say you got a full 2 there, but it's always nice to know the exact amount for reference. I'm trying to improve my "estimating".

I hope I got more than 2 cords. I ordered 2.5 cords. I took more pics of this pile and I can post them when I get home. I'll also post pics of the wood stacked once it is done.

I see "one cord" as a rather subjective measurement and not very accurate since I can stack it with a lot of air holes, or stack it packed.

One thing I do know is that this wood is good quality - almost all of it is straight grained and very few knotty pieces; this makes it a LOT easier to stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.