Had a bit of help from a native....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzzie Gumtree

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2012
Just finishing off a bit of splitting and was taking 5 mins and a drink when a kookaburra thought he would like to help and pick up some of the bugs i had uncovered. Its one of my fav birds :)

WP_20150913_001.jpg WP_20150913_003.jpg WP_20150913_004.jpg WP_20150913_007.jpg

Good sized bird. Nice that you have a helper with the bugs. Have to say, he's nicer looking than a chicken;lol

its very similar to a King Fisher and the weird thing with them is their laughing call - its very distinctive. Also when they get any food (dead or alive) they bash it from side to side and then align it up straight down.

images

Pretty cool looking bird and nice stack of wood. Do you have a gum tree near by? This reminded me of the swing we used to sing as Kids: Kookaburra, Kookaburra in the old Gum Tree.....

Wow just looked it up, Australia.... No wonder I have never seen one lol. I'm a few miles out of the home range. Cool looking bird.

They are cool, they can get quite tame I used to feed a couple of them bacon rind out of my hand.

Pretty cool looking bird and nice stack of wood. Do you have a gum tree near by? This reminded me of the swing we used to sing as Kids: Kookaburra, Kookaburra in the old Gum Tree.....
You could say I have quite a few gum trees. The one in my avatar was taken a couple of years ago. They can get pretty big around here 300 ft and above......

.... and the next line is "Laugh, Kookaburra, Laugh";lol

Belted kingfisher is the common one in North America; two others are more Texas/Arizona birds - ringed and green. Had to go looking for info ;)
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Belted_Kingfisher/id

Better than those swooping birds I hear so much about. Magpies?

Magpies have their place ... they harvest wood ticks. I say keep up the good work. :) Part of the jay family of birds but with very long tails. Haven't had them swooping here so maybe you are thinking of another bird? Black-billed magpie is a midwest/western bird... http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/black-billed_magpie/lifehistory

Australian magpie info from wikipedia ... but in spring a small minority of breeding magpies (almost always males) become aggressive and swoop and attack those who approach their nests, especially bike riders. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_magpie

Good looking bird and it is eating bugs like a bluejay would. Great pictures you posted of it.

I love a little variety, Auzzie, you never fail to impress. I'd love some of that blackwood you posted about a while back. That was the best looking wood I have ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.