1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Had a hard time getting the stove going

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by HDRock, Sep 3, 2013.

1. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    It got down to 60 out I got cold ,windows open anyway, good time to get some practice on the new stove.
    Do ya think it's just cuz of the temp ?
    Got it cruising at 520 ST temp now, box is little under half full
    Wow moving the air a little makes a big difference
    FYI first EPA stove

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Assuming you have good dry kindling, when it drops below 50F it will start easier.
    PapaDave and firefighterjake like this.
  3. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Thanks
    I am just a little worried about the draft , cuz ,I have 8" chim ,have 6" straight up to ceiling box though.
    Going to check out a piece of chim pipe from CL , I think is same brand, so if need be I can add some
    If it is same and I don't need it , it won't hurt to have, for $25
  4. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Is your overall chimney height above the minimum in the stove manual? (typically 13-16ft)

I second Begreen's thoughts - a small change in outdoor temps can make a big difference in draft, and its typical that we get a lot of poor draft posts each fall as people start lighting up in mild weather. By mid winter all the issues disappear :) I know for my setup, if I try to light up at 50F I will get smoke in the house anytime I open the door. At 40F its starts to work halfway decent. At 30F that thing will suck your gloves up the stack if you are not careful (kidding - but you get the idea)
    Seasoned Oak likes this.
  5. oldspark

oldspark Guest

The new stoves dont start quite as easy as the old ones either besides the warm temp so a little learning curve might be in store, for the most part I have to have the door cracked for a few minutes when I start a fire from scratch.
  6. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Yep, 60 is a bit warm for really good draft, but it's good practice anyway.;)
  7. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Chimney is,10/2, 15' stove top to cap.
  8. 1750

1750 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I remember this spring when it was warming up, it was much trickier to get the 1750 drafting when it was over 50F. For probably the same reason, I had more trouble with smoke coming into the room when I would open the door to feed the fire.

The only thing that seemed to help was just building a smaller, hot fire (smaller, really dry splits) toward the back of the fire box. I think that's probably good practice whenever I light the stove, but it seems to be more important to pay attention to those details when the temperature differential is smaller.

I hope you are enjoying your new stove!
  9. oldspark

oldspark Guest

Good point, getting the fire as hot as possible as quickly as you can with the right type of splits will help a lot.
  10. Augie

Augie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Of Canada
    This is especially important in warmer temps, Also as your flue warms up you will have easier time getting a draft. I think I have about 20ft of flue, Mine like yours is 8". so it leaves the stove 6" up to the support box when it goes to 8". I Had similar draft issues during shoulder season last year with 13ft of stack height to collar, so I added a 7ft section.
  11. CTPipeDream

CTPipeDream New Member

Loc:
    Andover, CT
    Way to warm to be burning is your problem. i usually won't even light my stove if its not in the low 40's.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  12. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Ditto. The shorter of my two stove chimneys won't draft well anytime it's much over 40F.
  13. oldspark

oldspark Guest

Yea I cant get the AC to run right in the winter either.;)
  14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Come on HD! Were you getting bored and had to light a fire? If you must, we will be getting into the 40's in a couple days. For sure you won't get much drafting at 60 degrees outdoors. Shoot, it was no doubt warmer than that indoors. Difficult to get a draft in that.
  15. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Hay ! I wanted to play with my new stove, then I got bored and started this thread :)
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  16. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Im still using the AC!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  17. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Ditto. Just bumped the thermostat down a few minutes ago.
  18. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    100, 60, 50, 30, 0 degrees. The mating call of the first time EPA stove owner after burning in a pre-EPA stove. "This damn thing won't burn right. Hard to get started.". We average five of those a season. Learning curve coming up. Don't feel alone.

But it is the first time it has come up in the first week of September. ;lol
    Backwoods Savage and HDRock like this.
  19. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    I think I will get it down fairly quick once It's actually cold enough to burn ;)
    Not that warm here 69 right now
  20. Augie

Augie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Of Canada

I and everyone else here thought so too....... ;em
  21. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Common MAN! your jumping the gun! ;)
  22. 1750

1750 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I absolutely admit that I looked at the dry splits stacked behind the clean, clean glass of my stove in the chilly morning and thought about touching her off to warm the place up.

It will be colder soon enough, but I do miss burning wood in that stove!
  23. Augie

Augie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Of Canada
    LOL Had the windows open sun went down, got a chill, thought about lighting up... looked at thermostat, still 70 degrees inside My bet is 2-3 weeks. No need to jump the gun as we will be at this for the next 6 months
  24. 1750

1750 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I absolutely agree. It was the temptation I had to resist at the moment!

You folks who have been at this for awhile may be a little more tempered than us newbies. :)
  25. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I carry six large loads of wood up from the basement entrance and thru the house every day, all winter long, feeding these two big stoves. While it's fun to light them up the first time each fall, I found I was getting real tired of it by the end of February, last year.