Had some fun last night....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
My in-laws have a bunch of white oak trees with branches overhanging the yard that they've wanted trimmed forever. They called a tree service in the spring...but they never showed up.

My BIL had his 60' JLG lift in the neighborhood, and since the ground is like concrete due to no rain, it seemed like the perfect chance to cross this off their list.

I'm no tree trimming expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I got pretty good at running the lift and dropping things where I wanted them. I've watched it done before and remembered that an undercut followed by a top cut makes the branch fall straight down, and a top cut only hinges the branch down and drops it pretty close to the location of the cut.

Most of the branches were large (8"-12" at the base) so they hit the ground with authority from 20' up.

I had to use the 361 (only saw I have) to do the work, and my shoulders and arms were feeling it after about 3 hours of work. Now I see the appeal of a top handle. Limbing in the air is a different animal than limbing on the ground.

It was dark when I finished, so no pics...but I have some more do tonight so I"ll try to remember to take some.

No action shots, but you get the idea...

Attachments

• 2012-08-02_19-49-20_829.jpg
    2012-08-02_19-49-20_829.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: ScotO and Thistle
20' up, bet it took a few cuts to get comfortable.
Limbs that big, you got some good fire wood too. Look to be the size of some of the tress i cut.
& white oak.
Good score , good job & you are a hero ;)

It does look dry there.

Nice job luke, I'll bet a 361 in that basket is a pretty good workout. That's a nice big lift to work off too. Way to go! A C

20' up, bet it took a few cuts to get comfortable.
Limbs that big, you got some good fire wood too. Look to be the size of some of the tress i cut.
& white oak.
Good score , good job & you are a hero ;)

It does look dry there.

The height doesn't really bother me. The worst part was the yard wasn't very level so I couldn't get the platform level. I was well within the limits of the machine, but still didn't like getting way "out" there with that red level light on.

As for dry, their yard looks pretty dang good compared to mine. 93 days without more than a couple sprinkles. Unreal.

Reactions: ScotO
It can get interesting up in the air! ;) I like it when you go up a 80' oak tree, get settled in to start cutting, and the wind picks up! Makes your 'short hairs' stand up! When you get used to doing it, it's not so bad. Glad to hear you made out OK.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Scott, that reminds me of the time I went deer hunting and it was really windy. I was sitting perched up on a pine and took the video camera with me. Turned it on and just held still. Got some really great pictures while waving in the breeze. My wife about crapped and called me a fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.