hahaha lame ebay wood seller.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Darn, local pickup only.

Lame, but if he sells it, pretty smooth. (I have my doubts though)

I'm going to put that on my watch list.

Try it in a Ricardo Montalban voice:

"Cherry Firewood, the most aromatic wood one can get."

madrone said:
Try it in a Ricardo Montalban voice:

"Cherry Firewood, the most aromatic wood one can get."
All I can hear is "de plane boss, de plane". Ja, I think it's a fantasy. Now, if it was split...

I dunno . . . I'm kind of partial to the smell of cedar. Maybe I should go out and cut up AND SPLIT a dead cedar and put an ad on E-bay for The Truly Most Aromatic Wood One Can Burn . . . ;)

While on the superlative kick, how about some small White Birch branches in the round for the Most Beautiful category. You wouldn't even need to split it. I hear people go out of their way to find it to have on display in their open fireplace and/or wood holder.

River birch, with the bark peeling a tad sprayed with lacquer so it does not disintergate. they sell it in the upscale decor stores around here for what would amount a $1000 a cord

seems like he cut those pieces awful small-why would you cut them THAT small. Have more value if they were longer . . . . doubt they'll ever sell-if they were bigger i'm seeing them as a wood working project :)

Holy Toledo that must be one blessed stack.

firefighterjake said:
I dunno . . . I'm kind of partial to the smell of cedar. Maybe I should go out and cut up AND SPLIT a dead cedar and put an ad on E-bay for The Truly Most Aromatic Wood One Can Burn . . . ;)

You laugh, but a local guy here ran an ad for months on CL looking for $200 for a much smaller stack of cedar, or something like $10 or $20 per log. He also suggested it was great for a smoker!

If you read the ad it doesn't sound like the picture is the entire stack. If you take the midpoint of the dimensions he mentions x the number of pieces, it's ballpark a face cord. Still quite expensive, but not as outrageous as some other things we've seen posted.

StackedLumber said:
seems like he cut those pieces awful small-why would you cut them THAT small. Have more value if they were longer . . . . doubt they'll ever sell-if they were bigger i'm seeing them as a wood working project :)

Average homeowner that has no clue............'nuff said.

I got some Craigslist Cherrywood for free but had to tell the guy that I was going to make a musical instrument out of it as that's how it was advertised and I didn't want to upset him!!

Want to have some fun with him? Email him and ask if he has any pieces of at least 4' or 6' in length and offer a crazy amount for them like $500 each or something - say you are thinking of building furniture out of it and you really like the color/grain of what you see in the pictures but 10-14" rounds are too short for you. Get enough folks to do so with different variations of the message but each time asking for longer sections than he has and he'll quickly regret cutting up his valuable cherry tree.

Ok, that is cruel. Especially once he gets zero bidders and ends up having to give it away for free...

Slow1 said:
Ok, that is cruel. Especially once he gets zero bidders and ends up having to give it away for free...
Already got dibs on it :p

Should have left it as on fairly straight log. Then some woodworker people wood (small amount of humor)be all over it..

I thought about putting a bid in but then I realized I need the money to replace the Corinthian leather handle grip on my maul.

I emailed the guy Fri. and told him if he were to sell it cheaper i'd be interested. Also told him i think he cut the rounds a little short...some of them are at 10". He said he'd get back to me... back up for auction starting at $50. What you guys think, worth it or not? Hard for me to tell how much wood is there being they are all random sizes. Any ideas?

Email the guy again and tell him that you'd like to come see it first. Then you can decide. What is a cord of wood running in your area or more importantly how much are you willing to pay/cord for rounds then go from there... When you are looking at it take cash and make him an offer - you may come home with it, or not. I can't imagine a lot of people buy rounds on ebay to be honest, but maybe I'm just missing a market.

CJRages said:
Look - it's been relisted at half the original price. We're getting closer to making a deal.

yep, closer indeed. that's under a "truckload" and it's unsplit. For a truckload split and stacked I pay $45 (doesn't matter what kind, but generally oak/maple/walnut mix)

So, I imagine that as-is you are talking about <truckload, unsplit, and undelivered. it's worth $25 max (around here). apparently in some areas it could be worth 4x that, but I doubt it's worth it where he is at.

stupid internet made me double post (certainly not operator error, lol). I wanted to edit my max value to $20 instead of $25. but whatever.....

a truckload split and "seasoned" is going for about $65 a truck load. i'm sure he paid someone to clean it up and is just trying to recoup some money. dont blame him

Status
Not open for further replies.