hairline crack on stove top, water to blame?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remkel said:
leeave96 said:
I don't think a little drop of water on the stove top would crack it. I'd say warranty should cover it.

Let us know how Jotul handles it and we just read about Pacific Engery and one of their stoves with cracked welds. The feedback you give would be helpful too.

Bill

Yes, having just bought am F 600, I too would be very interested in how they handle this.

Just to keep the guys that are interested in the loop. The pictures I took (that were on here) I sent to my dealer. They in turn sent them to the local Jotul rep with my explanation. I stopped by the dealer with the top plate today. The folks at the dealer had never really seen this kind of damage before on a top plate, meaning the way the cracks travelled. A close inspection ruled out water, meaning the usual damage from cold water being placed on the hot cast ususally opens the unborn crack 2x the width of the ones I had. They actually showed me some examples in the shop to compare it to. The unconfirmed ruling is now excess heat or a bad cast, although they believe it will be covered under the warranty either way.
The old plate I delivered to them this afternoon is going to be shipped off to Jotul and I will await a phone call in a week or so.

Still disappointed in the failure in the first place, but awful damn glad to hear that the dealer is supporting you.

I hope it works out well.

pen

The phone rang today while at work, could not take the call. The VM later said that the new top was in and come pick it up anytime. Sounds good to me, +1 for Jotul!

Highbeam said:
The thread title makes me laugh. That crack is anything but hairline. It is a real, no jokes, crack just as sure as the crack you'll see when a plumber bends over.

Nice stereo-typing, not all of us plumbers are over-weight and have exposed cracks.

egclassic said:
Highbeam said:
The thread title makes me laugh. That crack is anything but hairline. It is a real, no jokes, crack just as sure as the crack you'll see when a plumber bends over.

Nice stereo-typing, not all of us plumbers are over-weight and have exposed cracks.

Does that mean they are overweight OR have exposed cracks? :lol:

Good enough,enjoy the site.Everbody's here to help, also alot of fun to be had here. I learned the hard way.

joecool85 said:
My Oslo heats my home said:
The phone rang today while at work, could not take the call. The VM later said that the new top was in and come pick it up anytime. Sounds good to me, +1 for Jotul!

Free replacement?

Sorry Joe, was away camping for a few days. Yes, no charge replacement!!

+1 Jotul and your dealer for going to bat for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.