Hamers Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranky Yankee

May 3, 2015
NE CT
Went to my local Agway to buy a couple of bags of Hamers to try them out and all they had were their brand
which they said were bagged for them by Hamers. Anybody ever run across that?

Agways are known for that. If they confirmed it, then they are Hamers. You could check the barcode to be sure. The Agway near me has relabeled LG Granulares.

Reactions: Cranky Yankee
Yes that is common in my area agway is rebagged blackstone hardwoods.

The re bagged Hamers are called Clean Energy. You can call Hamers and ask them they will explain it to you.

Agways are known for that. If they confirmed it, then they are Hamers. You could check the barcode to be sure. The Agway near me has relabeled LG Granulares.
Do you mean Granules LG's? Aren't you lucky! Those are awesome pellets. What is their price on them? I paid $309/ton delivered.($6.18/bag)

If you have a smart phone there's a pretty good app called iGepir for scanning barcodes!

Hamers will actually bag them at the plant like that for Agway. My Agway actually called Hamers and they confirmed that they are Hamers Hot Ones bagged in Agway bags at the plant.

Hamers will actually bag them at the plant like that for Agway. My Agway actually called Hamers and they confirmed that they are Hamers Hot Ones bagged in Agway bags at the plant.

The Agway around here does too. I liked the Hamer's I got from Agway last year, so in my 4 ton purchase this year I bought Hamer's direct, not through Agway. Like many, noticed after the fact, they no longer say Ultra Premium Grade but Premium Grade. The ash rating went from less than .5% to 1%. According to Hamer's though it's the exact same pellet but due to the change in "standards" they changed the label.

I have never done a scientific test, but I had 8 bags leftover from last year that I started burning and now have burned 8 bags of the new ones and they don't seem like the same pellet. I still get a good, high heat, but it's "dirtier". My glass is getting dirtier faster and it feels like I have more ash produced than I did previously. Maybe there isn't a difference, but it seems noticeable and even the wife commented once on the glass getting dirtier faster than before so maybe it's true. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Previous
pellets.jpg

bag4.jpg

Will also be eager to see how the Premiums perform (I have six tons of them). Hamer's tells me they are exactly the same, but your observation intrigues (and concerns) me. If I also get significantly more ash, will be the last time I burn Hamer's. I buy them only because of the significantly lower ash. We shall see...

I picked up a few bags of agway pellets. Didn't try them yet. However I did use the bar code app above to check and it came up as CHS Inc. Never heard of them.

Will also be eager to see how the Premiums perform (I have six tons of them). Hamer's tells me they are exactly the same, but your observation intrigues (and concerns) me. If I also get significantly more ash, will be the last time I burn Hamer's. I buy them only because of the significantly lower ash. We shall see...

Couple things:
1. It's not "super" noticeable, but although the heat seemed similar the ash seemed dirtier than before.
2. I had the Agway Hamer's (per barcode from Hamer's) to compare against.

I hope they are just the same as you remember and it could be just me projecting my own concern in the difference I've noticed, but I do notice a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.