Hampton 300 insert problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes even tried to start with windows open. The sweep came nag cleaned the stove. He observed the cap too. Should be plenty of air in the room.

Is your liner fairly straight up? You'll have to do this with the stove cooled. I suggest taken the baffles out, get your head in there and look up. You should see daylight through the cap if done during the day. If you do it at night, shine a flashlight up there and see if you can see the cap. Short of saying take the cap off and try, I am out of suggestions. If it's not drafting with the door open, it does suggest something with the draft in the liner.

Is this is basment install?

Yes will look up there tomorrow. Livingroom install. I no longer believe that the problem is with going in the stove but I don't think much draft ic occurring. Very hard to start a fire even with firestarter stuff. The wood just doesnt want to catch until the door is open- then smoke fills the room.

Try pulling the baffle out and hold a lit piece of newspaper up in the flue, if the smoke just rolls down and out of the box you likely have an obstruction in your flue. Oh and make sure you open a window near the stove when doing this just so any possible negative pressure is not an issue.

Good idea- and I'm not too happy. Checked the pipe that was supposedly cleaned out by the sweep on Saturday to find a clog of sticks and stuff blocking any light right where the pipe starts by the stove. He either knocked it down or never did clean it but I did see him shove a brush up. Didn't bother to look up the pipe I guess. Wonder how a bird got in with a cap on? Thanks for all the help. Looking more closely I see the cap is open on all sides? Can someone recommend a cap for the Hampton?

cocey2002 said:
Good idea- and I'm not too happy. Checked the pipe that was supposedly cleaned out by the sweep on Saturday to find a clog of sticks and stuff blocking any light right where the pipe starts by the stove. He either knocked it down or never did clean it but I did see him shove a brush up. Didn't bother to look up the pipe I guess. Wonder how a bird got in with a cap on? Thanks for all the help. Looking more closely I see the cap is open on all sides? Can someone recommend a cap for the Hampton?

I had a cap my first year and they tend to get blocked very easily if you don't have near perfect burning practices. I changed over to a whole chimney cap and it made a huge change in draft and it looks better IMO. Just sayin.. Take a look at install pics and you'll see what I am talking about.

One other question, did the sweep do a top down or bottom up cleaning?

If he did a top down, I can see how this may have happened, but I don't know why these sticks didn't end up on your baffle. If it was a bottom up sweep, he may have been pushing these sticks around and gravity sent them down when he finished. Either way, sticks do not belong in the liner. One good hot fire would have made them burn but I guess you didn't get it hot enough.

He did a bottom up sweep. The stick pile I removed was still stuck in the liner about 1 foot up. The bad thing is I still have a blockage somewhere. Tried lighting a fire and little draft. Could not see daylight with a mirror.

cocey2002 said:
He did a bottom up sweep. The stick pile I removed was still stuck in the liner about 1 foot up. The bad thing is I still have a blockage somewhere. Tried lighting a fire and little draft. Could not see daylight with a mirror.

Sounds like the only way to clear this is with a top down approach. Take the cap off and with enough push, this will pop out of the bottom of the liner into your stove. Make sure to remove the baffles so the sweep doesn't crack them when he bottoms out with the brush.

Not real happy with the sweeps that did this. Calling tomorrow for them to rip up my check or redo the sweep. Actually I should learn how to do this myself as with the baffles out it doesn't seem like it would be hard. Just wonder why my cap is not screened? Seems like this would invite a lot of problems. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.