Hampton GC60 Not heating.. What would you go with now? Harman P61A?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Sterner

Nov 18, 2013
Vermont
Many of you may have seen my past post on my new Hampton GC60 and the list of issues I've had. At this point in time I have done everything the dealer asked me to do which included hooking up the air intake to pull outside air, adjusting the negative air pressure in the stove to the recommended settings and trying new pellets.
Last night we had 30 degrees, I ran the stove on heat setting 3, feed on 3, combustion on 3 and put the stove in High/Low Mode. I set the digital thermostat to 70 filled the hopper with one bag of pellets at 6:00pm and walked away. This morning at 7:00am my living room was 66 degrees and the hopper had maybe an hour left of pellets. So, maybe 14hrs to a bag and a max temp of 66 in the same room as the stove. Just so you get the whole picture my living room is 18x12 and has 7.5 foot ceilings. The house is only 1600sq feet. As we speak the stove is on setting 4 which will keep the room at 70 but its now 35 degrees out and I live in a climate where we see -20!
First question, does this sound like there is an issue or is this what you would expect?
Second, if the dealer takes it back, what would you recommend for a different stove? My original goal was to buy a Harman P61a but I talked myself out of that because I liked the look of the Hampton and was told it would do the job.
Thanks

Do you know anything about your previous heating bills? Or a heat loss on your house.

Its been very windy the last couple days wind sucks or blows the heat right out of your house. 30 and windy sometimes is worse then 5 and calm.

Why are you only setting it to 70? The temp on my stove and the temp in the room is a few degrees off. What happens if you turn the temp up? will it reach 72 if you set it to 75 or so? If so, then your complaint is it eats too many pellets. What kind of pellets are you using? I burn Turman and on really cold days, I have burned through 2 bags, although it's normally a bag a day. Like the previous poster said, how is the insulation in your house? Windows etc.? All that will have a bearing on how well your stove works.

Before the pellet stove I used approx. 3 cords of wood and one tank of heating fuel. The wood stove I had was an inexpensive steel stove that was rated at 45000 BTU's and would heat the house just fine all its own without the oil furnace kicking on.

Do you know anything about your previous heating bills? Or a heat loss on your house.

Its been very windy the last couple days wind sucks or blows the heat right out of your house. 30 and windy sometimes is worse then 5 and calm.

I'm running the stove in High/Low mode which if I understand correctly on the way this works, if I set the temp to 70 in the room the stove will run on the desired setting which in my case was 3 until it reaches 70. The stove will then drop to low until the thermostat calls for heat which it will then jump up to heat setting 3 again. Its an old house that has been redone, could be better could be worse as far as insulation goes. I could heat it with a 45000 BTU wood stove prior to this.

Why are you only setting it to 70? The temp on my stove and the temp in the room is a few degrees off. What happens if you turn the temp up? will it reach 72 if you set it to 75 or so? If so, then your complaint is it eats too many pellets. What kind of pellets are you using? I burn Turman and on really cold days, I have burned through 2 bags, although it's normally a bag a day. Like the previous poster said, how is the insulation in your house? Windows etc.? All that will have a bearing on how well your stove works.

I'm sorry I have no experience with the Hampton, but it seems like the room with the stove in it should be hotter than 66. Unless you're burning crap pellets? I have a 1400 square foot ranch with a cathedral ceiling that gets so frickin' hot in 1/2 hour, it runs on low most of the time. My house is well insulated, however. It would be nice to try a P61 in your house to see if it would make a difference. That would be one heck of a dealer to allow you to swap stoves. I guess is wouldn't hurt to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.