Handle tightness

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Delaware
Is it harmful to have handle at its tightest lock point? I tightened the handle so that a piece of paper is hard to pull out but it still closes and locks, any more adjustment and it would be hard to lock it. I'm just guessing that as long as door can shut it is ok to have it as tight as possible. Right or wrong ? Let me have it. Haha

The gasket only needs to be evenly snug. I wouldn't push it too far, there is no gain from over-compressing the gasket and no need to overstress the latch.

Last edited:
Thank you I have it a turn back the opposite way. Still nice fit

Just make sure you don't have any air leaks in the gasket. This will lead to inefficient burns. My gasket on my woodstove door had a leak after one year of using it so I replaced the gasket.

Just make sure you don't have any air leaks in the gasket. This will lead to inefficient burns. My gasket on my woodstove door had a leak after one year of using it so I replaced the gasket.
It had leak from factory, sbi sent me new one. With the osburn stove the dollar bull test seems tricky. I can get it out but I pull hard. I just ran a flame around door while fire was burning and did not see it sucking under so I assume it's good to go

Too tight and you will crush the gasket so that it doesn't bounce back. No resilience. As loose as possible while still making the seal is ideal. That's tough though.

I re did my gaskets and used strips of paper to test. I didn't have it so tight that the paper would rip, but took a firm tug to pull out. Seemed to work just fine. I would agree that having it super tight is not necessary. I like that flame test idea too.

Status
Not open for further replies.