1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Hardiebacker to brick?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by mattjm1017, Sep 27, 2013.

1. mattjm1017

mattjm1017 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Corapeake NC
    Does anybody know of a way to install hardiebacker to brick? Im giving my hearth a makeover and need to install the hardiebacker directly to the brick. I planned to just use concrete/brick anchor screws but when I talked to hardiebacker they said that they have no recommendations for installing it to brick so Im kind of at a loss now.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    That's a unique install! What is the reason for the backer? Most all masonry products can be attached to the brick without any trouble. I used mesh behind my stone veneer, but that was only because the brick was painted with semi-gloss paint.
  3. mattjm1017

Loc:
    Corapeake NC
    the reason for the backer board over the brick is because part of what will be tiled is also over studs I need the backer board on the studs for the tile and to make it all flush and even i want to put the backer board on the brick too.
  4. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    I would think you could use thin-set to bond it to the brick. Just use some anchors randomly to hold it to until the thin-set dries.
    mattjm1017 likes this.
  5. mattjm1017

Loc:
    Corapeake NC
    Thanks webby for the quick reply I found on another forum about shower stuff to use thinset and tapcons so Ill go ahead and try that. Thanks again.
  6. fox9988

fox9988 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Arkansas
    Tapcons
    mattjm1017 likes this.
  7. mattjm1017

Loc:
    Corapeake NC
    Heres an update I used the mortar and tapcons on the brick seemed to work out nicely. After that was all fiinished I started in on the tiling got that done tonight now to wait and grout it all. All I need is a new mantle and some trim on the edges of the tile. Th pictures dont quite do it justice but yall will get the idea Im sure. After its all done and put back together Ill get my wifes camera and take a real good picture of it.

IMAG0273_BURST001.jpg IMAG0278.jpg IMAG0283.jpg