Hardwood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ValleyCottageSplitter

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2016
Rockland Co, NY
It's been a difficult fall so far. I missed a load of hickory that was on marketplace for 3hrs. I've been to two houses, one was elm and the other gave the address but had a locked gate. When I reached him the next day he gave the wood away to someone else.

I just picked up a load from a guy who got too much from a tree company. Typical sloppy cuts and it has been sitting almost a year. Some red oak, a lot of red maple, then I found a few mystery logs. Pretty straight, split straight, a little bit light, but feels almost as hard as the oak.

Strangely I just picked some up like this in the spring, also sitting about a year.

What is your guess?

Attachments

• 20181011_173130.jpg
    20181011_173130.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 282
  • 20181011_173136.jpg
    20181011_173136.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Hickory?

The wood looks a lot like sassafras but not the bark. That's a tough one...

Ok, Sassafrass was my guess too. First time with it. It did have some type of scent but I didn't think of it as a "root beer" type smell. Possibly because it was all old. The actual sapwood/heartwood kept very well though. The load in the spring I thought was Ash and just a little old, but now I can tell it is a different species.

On the bright side, it has seasoned fast. My load from May is at 25% and that is half an 8" round.