HARDWOOD VS SOFTWOOD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just a Meir smuck who burns pellets, And this is what I gather from all this.

This is a cut and paste from pooks link.

8000 to 8500 Btu per pound for non resinous woods. 8600 to 9700 Btu per pound for resinous woods

When the wood is in natural form there are more pounds in a hardwood cord than a softwood cord. Because the hardwood is denser than softwood.

When you compress to the same density Both hardwood and softwood would weight the same amount.

So there for a pound of hardwood pellets would be in the 8000 to 8500 BTU range and softwood would be at 8600 to 9700 range.

Compressing the wood fibers is the equalizer. Now both species would weight the same.

just my 2
jay

In the long run if the best BTU pellet is only available in a region that is not near me. I am not going to pay for shipping to gain the extra 1-200 BTUs to get that extra heat. I will stick with what is available within 30-40 miles of my home. Past two years I burned sommersets(hardwood and great pellet). This year I will be burning mostly Rocky Mountains(softwwod). I would prefer to burn the Sommersets but they only had one ton left of those and I use 5-1/2 a year so the rest will be the rocky mountains.

Claims of x,xxx btus, ash content and fines mean nothing to me if they are not locally available and at a comparable price.

Ghettontheball said:
BTU said:
jtakeman said:
I am just a Meir smuck who burns pellets, And this is what I gather from all this.

8000 to 8500 Btu per pound for non resinous woods. 8600 to 9700 Btu per pound for resinous woods

When the wood is in natural form there are more pounds in a hardwood cord than a softwood cord. Because the hardwood is denser than softwood.

When you compress to the same density Both hardwood and softwood would weight the same amount.

So there for a pound of hardwood pellets would be in the 8000 to 8500 BTU range and softwood would be at 8600 to 9700 range.

Compressing the wood fibers is the equalizer. Now both species would weight the same.

just my 2
jay

BINGO...we have a winner ...!!!
or another customer, uninformed butt from testimonial biass!

Nope not a customer, OKanagans are too high around me.

I like the Spruce Points

But if I can get them cheap enough, I will test them out!

BTU said:
jtakeman said:
Ghettontheball said:
BTU said:
jtakeman said:

just my 2
jay

I like the Spruce Points

LOL ..Jtakeman, I was actually referring to your explanation....and the Spruce Pointe are fine pellets....If I may suggest you pick up a couple of bags of the Okies and see if you find any difference between them...

The reply was for pook's PITA comment.(or another customer, uninformed butt from testimonial biass!)

But I have been burning the softies on and off for 8+ years. Ain't nothing wrong with them as long as I can afford them

Ghettontheball said:
jtakeman said:
BTU said:
jtakeman said:
Ghettontheball said:
BTU" date="1254180009 said:
jtakeman" date="1254179508 said:

just my 2
jay

I like the Spruce Points

LOL ..Jtakeman, I was actually referring to your explanation....and the Spruce Pointe are fine pellets....If I may suggest you pick up a couple of bags of the Okies and see if you find any difference between them...

The reply was for pook's PITA comment.(or another customer, uninformed butt from testimonial biass!)

But I have been burning the softies on and off for 8+ years. Ain't nothing wrong with them as long as I can afford them
if my comments are PITA u should try sit on your head. i do have a rationale which u aint following & yes softies are better. but BTU previously wrote nothing could beat an oak pellet?

Pook,

Some times we don't understand you that's why you a PITA. :p

I though you were for the oak being hotter! And Why would a Softwood pellet salesmen think Oak would be hotter! I think your alittle mixed up. The plywood guy thinks the Oak pellets are hotter!!!

Easy big fella! Looks Like you, BTU and I are on the same page. RELAX, BREATH!

BTU said:
mascoma said:
For a world wide pellet distribution king Mr BTU spends a lot of time on this forum trying to convince the few hundred end users here his product is the most amazing pellet ever. He often asks for others to show their 3rd party testing results for a product they burn not sell, but I seem to have missed where/when he has provided his 3rd party results he sites for his product.

All I'm doing is trying to educate the 400,000+, hits that come to this site annually that I have a very good product and I would like you to try them.

If you are a legitimate dealer, then I am more than happy to provide you with the 3rd party results

But here they are

8600-8900 BTU's
.3-.4% ash content
Very little fines and traces of salt which all pellet have (some more than others)

We have our products tested at least once a year and have the signed reports to back this up. If you are a retail customer, ALL this information has been provided to ALL our dealers and is updated when made available to us...ask them to see it and I’m quite sure they will show it to you.

Mascoma, its' not just a few hundred end users I'm just trying to get in front of here...It’s the 10 people who they tell about our products, who then tell 10 of their friends and family, who tell 10 of their co workers and next door neighbors...Word of mouth...is about as powerful a forum of advertisizing that I know of...and that is why I'm trying to get it thru thick headed, stubborn, hardwood pellet users ...like you probably, that there is other pellets out there that just might work better for some people who will actually open they eyes and try something new. Maybe that's not you...but some of them are reading this blog and that is who I am addressing my comments too.

So I should read and learn from your posts here, but ask my local dealer to provide the science???
Word of mouth is also the cheapest form of advertising, which is really why you are here, or we would see your banner on the site.
Unfortunatly I will tell 20 people not to buy your fabulous product after you called me a closed minded, thick headed, stubborn person without having a clue who I am because I have asked you a few questions you did not want to answer directly.
BTW I have and due burn both hard and soft pellets depending what is available, have been happy with both. I am sure your product is great but all your shouting that it is THE BEST ever and siting science, without providing the science is a turn off.
G'day.

jtakeman said:
Ghettontheball said:
jtakeman said:
BTU said:
jtakeman said:
Ghettontheball" date="1254180181 said:

just my 2
jay

I like the Spruce Points

if my comments are PITA u should try sit on your head. i do have a rationale which u aint following & yes softies are better. but BTU previously wrote nothing could beat an oak pellet?

Pook,

I though you were for the oak being hotter! And Why would a Softwood pellet salesmen think Oak would be hotter! I think your alittle mixed up. The plywood guy thinks the Oak pellets are hotter!!!

I never said any pellet was hotter then the other.... I was just poking holes in the advertising campaign.

Havlat24 said:
jtakeman said:
Ghettontheball said:
jtakeman said:
BTU said:
jtakeman" date="1254180840 said:

just my 2
jay

I like the Spruce Points

Pook,

I never said any pellet was hotter then the other.... I was just poking holes in the advertising campaign.

I guess I read that wrong. Sorry.

Ghettontheball said:
jtakeman said:
Ghettontheball said:
jtakeman said:
BTU said:
jtakeman" date="1254180840 said:

just my 2
jay

I like the Spruce Points

Pook,

ya but ure wrong & persist on giving advice & i dont like it! my word is based on gov. site + simple math [to me]. i detailed it & will again if i thiught anybody would follow it & let me know if & where i'm wrong. I DONT LIKE BS! but love to bust it down

Where was I wrong? The BTU values were from the link you posted. So that would make you wrong too! Where was the BS in my post?

Instead of arguing with us. Show us the math to figure out what your saying. I know your pretty dang smart. Just wish you would show it.

I want to be with you but some of what you are saying doesn't make sense. Seems you just want to poke at BTU.

Ghettontheball said:
i already posted it + posted new thread 'pellet btu 101" which explains it. btu is talking out both cheeks to cover his ass= basic salesmanship. i dont know how much of this post uve read but i assure u i can substantiate my position.

I know it 's a pain but please Step us through your theory.

As for BTU, His product seems to back up his claims. I have not tried them YET! But I know peeps who have and there all that! As far as I can see he speaks highly of a very good product.

He also speaks highly of pellets that are known good and he doesn't sell. He helps in the forums. Why poke at him?(no offence)

Ghettontheball said:
jtakeman said:
Ghettontheball said:
i already posted it + posted new thread 'pellet btu 101" which explains it. btu is talking out both cheeks to cover his ass= basic salesmanship. i dont know how much of this post uve read but i assure u i can substantiate my position.

As for BTU, His product seems to back up his claims. I have not tried them YET! But I know peeps who have and there all that! As far as I can see he speaks highly of a very good product.

He also speaks highly of pellets that are known good and he doesn't sell. He helps in the forums. Why poke at him?(no offence)
he fked up when he disagreed with me about pine pellets & further stated nothing burns hotter than oak product which can be found at bottom of first page which he later denied but i referred him backto it. i got it copied anyway.
=
Please show me 1 Yellow Pine pellet that will spec out with a 3rd party at 9600+ BTU’s....NO WAY...there isn’t ANY wood product that I am aware of that could reach these numbers. That my friend you will have to show me, before I will believe that…

There might be 1 or 2 Oak products that could do this (8800-8900 BTU’s)...but there are few and far between

Sure there is some factor from humidity, temp and air flow...but that isn’t going to move the numbers very much, one way or the other… If you care about a clean product, then you won’t be burning coal or corn...they can burn hot, but are much dirtier than good pellets.

Signature
Exclusive wholesale distributor of the world’s best super premium softwood pellets from BC…

“these pellets are like a high octane rocket fuel… very clean, very high heat output… the pellet

i used gov. site like this= take the btu # & divide it by the dry weight #. this gives a # which may not be btu/pound but is btu/weight & easy to compare among the different species. so my results were
oak 26.4btu/2880weight =.0091666
spruce 19/1960 =.0096938
ponderosa pine 19.3/1960 =.0098469

get it?

OK, Got that but how can you get a value in the net pound?
Then you could say you have a rough BTU/LBS value. That is what we are looking for. That is what the pellets are rated at BTU/LBS.

Ghettontheball said:
jtakeman said:
Ghettontheball said:
jtakeman said:
Ghettontheball said:

he fked up when he disagreed with me about pine pellets & further stated nothing burns hotter than oak product which can be found at bottom of first page which he later denied but i referred him backto it. i got it copied anyway.
=
Please show me 1 Yellow Pine pellet that will spec out with a 3rd party at 9600+ BTU’s....NO WAY...there isn’t ANY wood product that I am aware of that could reach these numbers. That my friend you will have to show me, before I will believe that…

There might be 1 or 2 Oak products that could do this (8800-8900 BTU’s)...but there are few and far between

Sure there is some factor from humidity, temp and air flow...but that isn’t going to move the numbers very much, one way or the other… If you care about a clean product, then you won’t be burning coal or corn...they can burn hot, but are much dirtier than good pellets.

Signature
Exclusive wholesale distributor of the world’s best super premium softwood pellets from BC…

“these pellets are like a high octane rocket fuel… very clean, very high heat output… the pellet

i used gov. site like this= take the btu # & divide it by the dry weight #. this gives a # which may not be btu/pound but is btu/weight & easy to compare among the different species. so my results were
oak 26.4btu/2880weight =.0091666
spruce 19/1960 =.0096938
ponderosa pine 19.3/1960 =.0098469

get it?

OK, Got that but how can you get a value in the net pound?
Then you could say you have a rough BTU/LBS value. That is what we are looking for. That is what the pellets are rated at BTU/LBS.
the comparative values above will reveal themselves in btu/lb in the same ratio. i'm too lazy to do the full workout but maybe i'll do the ponderosa pine

Do it so this dummy(ME!) can follow. Please.

thx
jay

Ghettontheball said:
9846.9387 btu/lb for pond pine & it looks like if u multiply the above .00 numbers times 1 million u will get the same results but in terms of btu/lb
oak 26.4btu/2880weight =.0091666 = 9166btu/lb
spruce 19/1960 =.0096938 =9693btu/lb
ponderosa pine 19.3/1960 =.0098469=9846btu/lb

Cool thanks pook.

But can we say this is real world?? I haven't seen any Oak pellets rated higher than 8600 BTU's(barefoot)and 8400 BTU's(Turman). Turman is 100% Oak

Ghettontheball said:
jtakeman said:
Spruce Pointe is rating theres at 8700 BTU/LBS. That is right off the bag!

Looks like Pooks figures need a fudge factor to correct them.

Check this like:

http://www.armstrongpellets.com/pellets.html

Has Douglas fur at 8900 BTU's/ SPF is 8390

jay
tell the gov. its their #s, i just used them.

I'm not gonna telll them you tell them. They will probably tax ya for using um!

Pook you seem to want to educate 'us' pellet users, and for that I ~ Thank You.

However, your poor grammar, rants and name calling nullifies your intelligence and information when reading your posts.

This thread started out as HARDWOOD VS SOFTWOOD, and ended up POOK VS most of the forum members, with BTU taking the brunt of your wrath.

BTU, from his first post (for which he was also attacked for), has made it clear he is a salesman. He has, IMO, tried to remain respectful and professional. While he "pushes" his product, he ALSO has tried to educate 'us' pellet users, and for that I ~ Thank Him.

In my simple mind and experience I would say that I prefer softwood pellets. I "feel" they produce more heat and less ash. However, I did not spend the money I did on a pellet boiler just for heat and hot water. I did so to try to be more environmentally conscious. While I would have loved to burn BTU's pellets, I chose to stay closer to home and bought Maine Choice Pellets ~ grown and produced right here in the state I live ~ thus cutting down on green house gas emissions through transportation, and equally important to me, keeping my money and jobs regionally (regionally as a big piece of the pie goes to Foxborough). Unfortunately, Maine Choice Pellets are predominately hardwood. So you see there are many factors in making a decision of choosing a pellet to burn. It is not always about species, price, BTU's, ash content, etc.

~just my 2 cents~ Jeff

(btw are all the moderators asleep - LOL - I can not believe the tone did not get this locked and shut down)

Ghettontheball said:
BTU said:
jtakeman said:
Spruce Pointe is rating theres at 8700 BTU/LBS. That is right off the bag!

Looks like Pooks figures need a fudge factor to correct them.

Check this like:

http://www.armstrongpellets.com/pellets.html

Has Douglas fur at 8900 BTU's/ SPF is 8390

jay

I think those numbers are right in line ......but a long way away from 9693 for the spruce that the "government chart" says it should produce.....
#s are for firewood @ 12% moisture i think & there seems to be a discrepancy i havent figured out but can only guess that going from firewood to pellet lowered the btu value

Maybe the pelleting process(heat) is stealing some BTU's? Just a guess don't kill me on it!

sinnian said:

However, your poor grammar, rants and name calling nullifies your intelligence and information when reading your posts.

This thread started out as HARDWOOD VS SOFTWOOD, and ended up POOK VS most of the forum members, with BTU taking the brunt of your wrath.

BTU, from his first post (for which he was also attacked for), has made it clear he is a salesman. He has, IMO, tried to remain respectful and professional. While he "pushes" his product, he ALSO has tried to educate 'us' pellet users, and for that I ~ Thank Him.

In my simple mind and experience I would say that I prefer softwood pellets. I "feel" they produce more heat and less ash. However, I did not spend the money I did on a pellet boiler just for heat and hot water. I did so to try to be more environmentally conscious. While I would have loved to burn BTU's pellets, I chose to stay closer to home and bought Maine Choice Pellets ~ grown and produced right here in the state I live ~ thus cutting down on green house gas emissions through transportation, and equally important to me, keeping my money and jobs regionally (regionally as a big piece of the pie goes to Foxborough). Unfortunately, Maine Choice Pellets are predominately hardwood. So you see there are many factors in making a decision of choosing a pellet to burn. It is not always about species, price, BTU's, ash content, etc.

~just my 2 cents~ Jeff

(btw are all the moderators asleep - LOL - I can not believe the tone did not get this locked and shut down)

Ahh! Wil started it!(jk)

Nice post Jeff.

BTU maybe a salesman but seems to have some class about it.

Don't worry about POOK. He can haggle with the best of em' (Even if they are agreeing with him). I think he's here to keep us on our toes and not letting us mess up.

It's all good.

jay

Ghettontheball said:
jtakeman said:
sinnian said:

~just my 2 cents~ Jeff

Ahh! Wil started it!(jk)

Nice post Jeff.

BTU maybe a salesman but seems to have some class about it.

Don't worry about POOK. He can haggle with the best of em' (Even if they are agreeing with him). I think he's here to keep us on our toes and not letting us mess up.

It's all good.

jay
pook argues with hisself constantly questioning pook
And your fun to have around! You always makes me laugh!! OK-We will keep ya too!

The best hardwood pellets i have ever seen (and we sell tons of them) are Cubex by lauzon. if lauzon sounds faniliar, you will note that they are a high end hardwood flooring producer in canada and export a lot of product to the east coast. the other thing they export is their waste material as pellets.. great stuff, dry, compressed, no junk, and is rated at @ 9000 btus +/- per lb. they are super clean.

The best softwood pellet has been Okanagan, which i find equal in cleanliness, high heat output, etc. I would take the Pepsi challange using these pellets any day of the week... Not to mention that so far their delivery and transportation network has been great to deal with, getting us all that we can sell. You can tell that the stock material to make it is very pure, and very dry, nicely diced up and compressed.. just put 'em in a cup of water and you'll see it is all little bits, no long bark fibers, no dark bark coloration. Leaves a nice fine ash when burned, no clinkers.

both of these companies have good access to quality stock to make the product. Softwood or hardwood makes no difference: its what goes into it that is most important.

summit said:
The best hardwood pellets i have ever seen (and we sell tons of them) are Cubex by lauzon. if lauzon sounds faniliar, you will note that they are a high end hardwood flooring producer in canada and export a lot of product to the east coast. the other thing they export is their waste material as pellets.. great stuff, dry, compressed, no junk, and is rated at @ 9000 btus +/- per lb. they are super clean.

The best softwood pellet has been Okanagan, which i find equal in cleanliness, high heat output, etc. I would take the Pepsi challange using these pellets any day of the week... Not to mention that so far their delivery and transportation network has been great to deal with, getting us all that we can sell. You can tell that the stock material to make it is very pure, and very dry, nicely diced up and compressed.. just put 'em in a cup of water and you'll see it is all little bits, no long bark fibers, no dark bark coloration. Leaves a nice fine ash when burned, no clinkers.

both of these companies have good access to quality stock to make the product. Softwood or hardwood makes no difference: its what goes into it that is most important.

Thanks, I knew there was another hardwood rating at 9000 BTU, Just couldn't remember who it was. I also couldn't find them this year. Were you able to get some???

Energex Juanita's are the other 9000 BTU. I couldn't touch there price this year.

jay

If those numbers are TRUE, There has to be something with the amount they are able to compress the pellets. The more material you can stuff into the pellet, The more BTU's it may contain???

another wild guess!

jtakeman said:
summit said:

Thanks, I knew there was another hardwood rating at 9000 BTU, Just couldn't remember who it was. I also couldn't find them this year. Were you able to get some???

Energex Juanita's are the other 9000 BTU. I couldn't touch there price this year.

jay

we get a couple truck loads a month of cubex when we're busy this time of yr. maybe three if they are availiable. pricey: we sell them at 300/ton: but many people insist on a hardwood pellet, and this has been the best hardwood pellet i have ever seen. flip side: we get 2 truckload a week from okanagan and get 285/ton (370 for a whole 65 bag pallet) and they are the best softwood pellet i have ever seen.. now that the craziness has ceased from last yr, we want to sell only super pellets for less headaches. not to say i havent seen bad cubex come thru: a batch a year or so ago had some cellulose insulation in it and we payed out alot of service untill the problem was figured out... and the first few loads of okies had rips in the packaging, and no vapor barrier under the pellets on the pallet, so we ate 10-12 bags per pallet as we took alot of wet bags back from pick up customers... however, both companies have corrected said issues since, and are great.

BTU said:
summit said:

Thanks..who should I make the check out too...LOL... :red:

i'll send you a pm of my address... just make it out to cash... trying to keep away from any more taxes, lol! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.