Hardy KB 125 gasser, any input?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, it's been a busy weekend. I'm heating about 3000 sq ft, and all of the domestic hot water for 4 people. Last year I burned from September 1st to May 1st and burned about 6 cord. That was a mix of ash, cherry, pine, walnut, and elm, all well below 25%. With the KB, you still have to split everything small, 4-6" diameter and should be seasoned to below 25%. Will it burn wet wood? Yes. Does it smoke more with wet wood? Yes. Does it smoke with wood under 25%? no. Would I buy another? Yes.

6 cord with 3000 square feet and domestic hot water is real good for as long as you had it burning. I only have about 1800 square feet and domestic hot water I want to heat. How often do you have to clean the ash out and clean the tabulators?

6 cord with 3000 square feet and domestic hot water is real good for as long as you had it burning. I only have about 1800 square feet and domestic hot water I want to heat. How often do you have to clean the ash out and clean the tabulators?
I clean the turbulators every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks;. Dirty job, but doesn't take to long. I clean the ash pan every 3-4 days. Another thing to keep in mind is that my house is only 7 years old and very tight, almost too tight. 2 x 6 exterior walls with r-16, and r-30 in attic, all wrapped up with tyvec on the outside. So, once again, wood usage could depend a lot on home construction.

I clean the turbulators every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks;. Dirty job, but doesn't take to long. I clean the ash pan every 3-4 days. Another thing to keep in mind is that my house is only 7 years old and very tight, almost too tight. 2 x 6 exterior walls with r-16, and r-30 in attic, all wrapped up with tyvec on the outside. So, once again, wood usage could depend a lot on home construction.

Yes, very good point. Thanks for all of the info and I may be getting ahold of you with more questions. Just one more question for now, how often do you have to load it? Sometimes I'm gone for 10-12 hours for work.

Keep in mind that this firebox is much smaller than that of the old H2's. All of my splits are around 4", stuffed to the max, I can fit about 12 splits in it. Today it was a high of about 22 here. I loaded full at 7:30 this am, and when I reloaded at about 8:00, there was still a nice, small bed of coals. So about 12 hrs in the 20's-30's, 13+ hrs above 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.