Harman 35i question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Fortier

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
Hello all,
Its that time of year again. Question is..I would like to run the stove on constant burn as a trial. Should the ignitor be left on auto or manual? auto it never seems to shut down, manual it never seems to fire up. Which is the proper setting?

Last edited:
Hello all,
Its that time of year again. Question is..I would like to run the stove on constant burn as a trial. Should the ignitor be left on auto or manual? Auto it never seems to shut down, auto it never seems to fire up. Which is the proper setting?
Oh that's what used to be called Stove Temp Mode , when running in that mode once the stove is fired I used to shut off the igniter not that it should make any difference. If your stove is shutting down with the igniter on you are not in Constant Burn mode is my guess but rather in room temp mode... Ya know, they call it constant burn for a reason, LOL ?

They may have changed things with updated controllers etc but shutting off the igniter also let you burn below output level 4 in manual mode with the distribution fan off.

Last edited:
Hello all,
Its that time of year again. Question is..I would like to run the stove on constant burn as a trial. Should the ignitor be left on auto or manual? Auto it never seems to shut down, auto it never seems to fire up. Which is the proper setting?
Set the switch to manual to keep the fire burning until the pellets are gone. This works in both stove and room temp settings.

Thanks worded it wrong made the corrections Sorry.

Just to be clear, if you try to start the stove while the switch is in manual, it will not start without your help (involving started gel and a match). If you start it in Auto, it will start itself then you can change to manual if you wish.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Bogieb,
I fire it up on auto, constant burn to get it lit. From there it doesn't seem to regulate well hence my question with igniter switch.

Bogieb,
I fire it up on auto, constant burn to get it lit. From there it doesn't seem to regulate well hence my question with igniter switch.
What do you mean by regulate well, what isn't being regulated ? Constant burn is about a relatively constant heat that satisfies stove temps. In that situation you generally get a fairly consistent flame height and or pattern. Room Temp mode is about doing what it takes to maintain room temps and in this mode you get consistent room temp but considerable up and down of flame ( depending on weather etc...).

EDIT: Let me go on to add that in satisfying the stove temp in constant burn , that action is really about making the ESP happy. Your room may or may not be too hot, too cold, just right. It's up to you to adjust accordingly. Additionally, as I recall ( I haven't refired my stove this year so memory is fuzzy already from the last two years) but with the igniter off and in manual mode and burning under a setting of 4 you probably aren't getting any distribution fan coming on.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackman
Constant mode is not about regulating the room air temperature, but regulating the stove temp.

Thanks all clears thing up for me.

Thanks all clears thing up for me.

Starting mine in auto then switching to manual ignition on room temp has been regulating much more evenly than leaving the igniter in auto. I tried that after reading the suggestion in this thread. Worked much better for me

Reactions: jackman
I burn my pc45 in stove temp constantly, if i start the stove and set it above 2, then allow the stove to run for about 1/2-1 hour, i can then switch the igniter and the distribution fan will stay on. The fan will stay on even if the stove is set to 1.

Starting mine in auto then switching to manual ignition on room temp has been regulating much more evenly than leaving the igniter in auto. I tried that after reading the suggestion in this thread. Worked much better for me
There is one hitch in this when the weather is warmer, longer low burns. The stove won't shut down so could go into long maintenance burns. This isn't any particular issue to the stove but you may want to ramp it up now and then, as this will produce a bit more carbon on the pot and keep a bit more ash in the stove vs up the chimney. Or just scrape the pot more often, which I tend to do. It really depends on weather and oil prices though. This fall has been warm and oil has dropped from last year, I haven't even fired the stove for how little the heat has run. Last year we were chewing into the first ton pretty well already. I think we burned everyday in Nov last year and several days in later Oct..

Status
Not open for further replies.