Harman 52i Insert Igniter Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 30, 2017
Northeast
Hi, I'm looking to find out how to replace my ignitor on my 52i insert. I've seen videos on other models, but not my particular model. On the other models they show removing the two 5/16 screws above the burn pot clean out that hold the cradle for the ignitor. My stove does not have those two screws. It's funny though on the Harman 52i maintenance video it shows those two screws above the burn pot clean out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ty

Hi, I've got the allen screw off that holds the igniter in place. I just can't seem to get out the igniter. It's starting to come out from the right hand side as you look at it but it's at such an angle it won't come out and I don't want to break anything. I'm also very shocked that I couldn't find anything on YouTube or this forum about this. My only lasted about two years so I figured there would be a lot of information out there about this.

You might have to remove the burn pot? I did on my xxv but it wasn't necessary but i did cause i wanted to clean the surface on the fire wall. There was a gasket i had to replace when i remounted the burn pot. Not to bad of a job pretty easy.

Hi, I'm looking to find out how to replace my ignitor on my 52i insert. I've seen videos on other models, but not my particular model. On the other models they show removing the two 5/16 screws above the burn pot clean out that hold the cradle for the ignitor. My stove does not have those two screws. It's funny though on the Harman 52i maintenance video it shows those two screws above the burn pot clean out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ty
Hi fifty, can you send us a pic of your burn pot so we can take a look I'm almost certain you won't have to remove the burn pot.

Here is the only picture I took. If this doesn’t help I can take a better picture tomorrow.
911C07CD-BA4E-4529-B7A2-4F84DCAC44AF.jpeg

Here is the only picture I took. If this doesn’t help I can take a better picture tomorrow.
View attachment 202071
Okay looks like a pop out igniter, the bracket on mine pops out that looks like a permanent bracket. You will have to trace the wires to the back of the stove disconnect the wires to the igniter and push them through to the burn pot to pull the igniter out from the opening on the pic. The wires in the back part of the stove are not heat resistant like the ones from the igniter, so make sure when you replace the new igniter push the non heat resistant back behind the fire wall.

Connect a string to the wires when you pull them out, and use it to pull the new wires in. I do that with my stove since the wires go through a longish channel - don't know how yours is laid out. Might save you some time and grief.

That is a great idea to tie the new wires to the old one and snake them out the back. You are correct that it’s a fixed cradle housing that does not come out. The two wires connecting to the igniter broke off from me trying to get the darn thing out. I was ok if that happened because I knew that I wouldn’t be needing the wires on the igniter because the new one already has them on there. I can pull the right hand side out almost all the way. It’s so close but I just can’t get it out. I don’t know if there is something on the cradle that is locked in some how and won’t let it come out

Also mark the wires at the back of the stove before you pull them through so you know how much to pull back. That way your protected wires/ non protected wires will be in the right place good luck let us know how you make out

Check for zip ties in the back holding the wires. You will have to cut those ties to give yourself more wire, then re zip tie when you get the new ones in to keep the wires clear from moving parts. Don't pull the wires without releasing that zip. Be carful not to pinch any wires while snipping the tie's

Well I️ fixed my igniter. Apparently now my I️ phone has a bug my daughter just told me why these boxes and explanation points are popping up. So I️ went to my dealer and checked out an igniter in my exact stove. It was loose as a goose. The woman really wasn’t to sure on how to change it. So here is what happened as to why it was so tight when I️ was trying to take it out.

The first year I️ owned my stove there was a recall on the burn pot. The tech came out and had replaced it. What happened was that when he replaced it he pinched one of the white wires coming off the igniter when he bolted the burn pot back onto the frame. The yellow and light blue wire on the back of the stove that connected to the white wires were fine and loose. The problem definitely was the one of the white lead wires coming off the igniter. This is probably what caused the igniter to go bad in the first place.

Thanks for all of the help and if somebody has problem trying to pull out there igniter this is probably your problem. The igniter is working great and it’s 74 in here we are loving the heat once again.

Reactions: Zeus