Harman Accentra Insert to Replace Propane Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thedude110

Feeling the Heat
Aug 12, 2011
Central Connecticut
I've read quite a few reviews of the Accentra Insert, I've gone and looked at (and priced) the Accentra Insert, and I'm just on the verge of buying. Before I do, I thought I'd share my situation and see if anyone has any feedback.

I currently have a propane fireplace (Majestic 36 LDVR) that's rated at about 600 SF. It does little to warm my house and the propane is way too expensive.

The Harman Accentra pellet insert is rated at 1400 SF, but I've read threads on this site that suggest that's a conservative rating. The dealer implied the same.

My house is in central Connecticut, it's about 3000 SF, built in 2008. I heat with oil, and would like the insert to heat my first floor (about 1500 SF). Anything on the second floor is a bonus. I can move air with ceiling fans and a central air conditioning fan. The first floor has an open floor plan.

Is this a wise purchase? Total cost of stove, plus install, plus 2 tons of pellets, will be about 5K, which sounds like about a 6 year payoff given our conditions? I have a dealer I feel I can trust, and I'm not spatially coordinated enough, or knowledgable enough, to do any of the work myself.

Thanks for any help/opinions.

I have a 10 year old 3100 sq ft home and the Accentra insert does a fine job heating the entire house. Much will depend on the location of the insert, the floor plan and your home's insulation. In my situation, what works best at distributing the heat is running the ceiling fan in reverse in the room that has the accentra. I experimented with the central airs' fans and it didn't seem to have much of an effect. Also, I run the Accentra 24x7 at the same temp. If I let the house cool down, it takes quite awhile to get it back to temp.
I burn around two bags of pellets a day.
Good luck.

...Pat

TheDude,

I'll add my two cents to your situation. Many of the suggestions the other poster gave you are correct and right on. Really comes down to how warm you want your house. As a whole, the stove would be able to heat your 1500 Sq. Ft. first floor. The only concern in your original post is the lack of knowledge and maintenance experience. Grant it I knew nothing when I purchased my Accentra Insert but with the help of many people on the forum it has made me a mini expert i feel. These stoves need TLC. They require upkeep and daily/weekly maintenance that you're responsible for. It is work and time consuming. The heat exchangers need routine cleaning to keep high heat output especially during the heart of the winter months. I would be interested in hearing what the stove shop says about the maintenance with the stove. Other then that I think your price is great. Good luck!

Hello, read your story, have you at least checked out the M55 cast insert from Enviro? You cant beat that stove for all around value, and its whisper quiet. Self cleani ng multifuel 60K BTUs (which in your case, would be an asset) and cost would not be much more (retail 3899) install and pellets should run around 5000-5500 depending on the dealer. I have seen most pellet stoves, Harmans are great, pricey stoves. The Quad MV AE would be nice choice too, but more costly. Just an alternative point. Good luck.

Stovelark
Enviro EF3 Pellet
Enviro 1700 wood

Regarding the Enviro M55 insert, you should be aware that if your fireplace is not a masonry fireplace, you will need to build an enclosure for it. The details are in the M55 insert's installation manual. The M55 was my first choice, but that added expense was a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for the tip - I'll follow up with my dealer about the Enviro. I've done a lot of research, but that brand slipped below my radar.

Can you walk me through what they mean by "self-cleaning?" It seems it would be in my best interest to clean the stove myself?

thedude110,

I had the same situation as you, had a gas insert and was considering the same option (Accentra insert). Fortunately, I found an Accentra insert on Craigslist that the owner let go for $1800. The stove was made at the end of 2009 and I got it in January of 2011, there was hardly any use on it. My house is 1800 sq ft coloinal and not only did it shut my furnace off for the rest of the winter, it kept my downstairs at 76 and the upstairs at 72, that's was at a medium setting.

The only difference is that your house is bigger, so I can't say for sure it would be as efficient. The one thing I can tell you is that you will be WAY more happy with the Harman then the propane. I can't even find anyone that will take my old propane stove away!

I heat 2800 sf split foyer 24/7. 68* upstairs 70* downstairs. Accentra is located on the lower level. House is 30 yrs old with only average insulation. hths

If you have a problem with maintenance, I'd stay away from the Enviro.
Their units are more susceptible to issues with fuel quality than the Harmans are.
The Harmans will adjust automatically to fuel quality, but the Enviro will require
manual adjustment & you won't know it's needed until you have a problem.
The Enviro is a drop feed unit & requires the combustion air to blow the ashes out of the burnpot.
Any clinkers that form in the burnpot will cause operational & heat reducing problems.
The Harman is an underfeed unit & the incoming pellets will push ashes & any clinkers out
of the burnpot.
Both are going to require weekly, bi-weekly & monthly maintenance, PLUS a COMPLETE going thru
after each ton of pellets has been burned.
Usually, the Harman ashpan will hold the residue from a TON of pellets.
I don't believe you'll get that feature with the Enviro.
You'll get arguments FOR both units (& others) here, but most will tell you
that the Harmans are built like tanks & run like Cadillacs.
Bottom line is to talk to your dealer & if you CAN, talk to somebody in the dealer's
Service Department. They will let you know which units they get the most calls on.
Those are the ones you may want to stay away from...
One other thing about the Harman insert. You can get a Zero Clearance "can" for
installation with out a masonry structure. Check to see if the Enviro has that option...
I think you will like the Harman better, but that's just MY $.02...

DAKSY said:
If you have a problem with maintenance, I'd stay away from the Enviro.
Their units are more susceptible to issues with fuel quality than the Harmans are.
The Harmans will adjust automatically to fuel quality, but the Enviro will require
manual adjustment & you won't know it's needed until you have a problem.
The Enviro is a drop feed unit & requires the combustion air to blow the ashes out of the burnpot.
Any clinkers that form in the burnpot will cause operational & heat reducing problems.

DAKSY,

The M55 is a multifuel stove. It also has a self cleaning burnpot. Clinkers get broken up and pushed out the sides of the burnpot. 2 pellet modes and a multifuel mode that are easily changed to. Not much to adjust once the damper is set. It has the same engine as my Omega and I have burned some pretty bad pellets without issues. I burned some horrid pellets(1st season MWP) that even a Harman owner passed on. Also burns straight corn and high ash/bark fuels. Compared more to the Harman PC45.

More about the M55 from Enviro- It is top fed, but self cleans with a breaker bar that turns thru burnpot via a side motor and chain. Pellet quality determines frequency of cleaning turns and is determined by the owner selection on the Motherboard for fuel used. It is truly a breakthrough for quiet pellet stove operation, and is ready for future fuels if they are ever developed. Has the best flame picture of a pellet stove as well, is fairly simple to clean and do annual cleanings. There has been issues with the convection blowers, with hot pellets, some overheating has been experienced. Enviro has issued a more heavy airflow convex blower to deal with that. Taking nothing away from Dane Harman, his stoves have always been good (but pricey), Enviro is a nice alternative. Of course there is a lot of nice stoves out there. Good hunting

Stovelark
Enviro EF3
Enviro Empress Ins AC
Enviro 1700 Kodiak wood

Status
Not open for further replies.