Harman Accentra Installed This weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

millhouselives

Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2008
Southern Vermont
Hi All,

Newbie owner here. Well..I finally installed our Accentra this past weekend. I had ordered vent pipe back in middle of Oct. and place I ordered never got in in. So found some Metal-Fab vent pipe from Heartline Stove in Jaffrey, N.H. Still figuring out how to resize pictures and then I will post a bunch of outside and inside install.

We did a corner install with a straight horz thur the wall install. My vent pipe from outside flange to tip of jet end cap is 17 inches. I think I am going to add another 12 inches just because I would feel a little more at ease with end a little more away from house wall. I also used fresh air intake thimble kit from Harman, need only to cut one opening in the wall.

My installation went very well for a newbie and first time install. I will share a little tip with you all that may installing much easier then normal. I built my hearth with help from a carpenter friend of mind and after it was build it came out to about 70 lbs. So I thought wow; now I have to put 350 pound stove on the hearth how the heck can I move all this.

Solution: Found these three wheel steel dolly's at local hardware store. Here is picture, I did not buy from here but pic will let you see what I am talking about.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-9124 I installed 4 (6.50 each) of them with lag bolts to bottom of hearth! Made lining up stove to wall for pipe installation very easy and also will make future service and cleaning nice and easy.

Some questions:

I know other day I was reading some post and lots of people were saying that their pellets stove's surface area's in general do not get hot, one even had a picture of a cat sleeping on top of a stove. Well since yesterday was our first time firing up the stove at 65 degree setting, blower set mid-way on the "stove temp" setting and pellet feed to just under three. After three hours temp in house went from 65 to 72 and stove sides and top are very hot. Not as hot as my old wood stove but you can not place your hand on it for sure. Is this ok and normal for for Harman Accentra?

My end cap is what they call a Horizontal Jet Cap and today while searching online for "Metal-Fab 12 inch vent pipe I found a "Horizontal Vent Cap". My cap points straight out and the Horizontal vent cap points downward. Considering my installation is there any advantage or disadvantage to which end cap is used? My vent pipe is about 5 feet above the ground outside. I am near a corner of the house about 18 inches from corner and on that corner which is front of house is 16 foot evergreen pine tree. So I have a little concern about sparks drifting toward that tree. You can see what end caps I am talking about here. http://www.ventingpipe.com/display.cfm?categoryID=264I. The horizontal vent end cap looks like it would at least knock sparks downward first before leaving pipe thereby reducing how far they may drift.

We did fire up stove for first time yesterday and I was plesantly surprised at how quiet blower was, all went well. Sparks inside of stove while fire was flaming but I did not see any at all outside, not even smoke just hot air exhaust. There was smoke when we first started stove outside for a minute or so and then everything ran nice and clean. I have four ton Lignetic's, not sure if that is spelled right.

One last question, cannot spend money on battery backup at this time, but do you all have at least a surge protector for your stoves?

Thanks and I will work on getting pic's up.

The wheels sounds like a cool trick.

My XXV stays just warm most of the time, occasionally it gets pretty hot. You can touch it , but you wont leave your hand on it very long.

I also have direct vent with OAK. A little smoke only at start up.

Surge protector. Using this one, got it at Office Max http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=124922

Remember what they say here...Post the Pic's or it never happened.

thanks for input, I know I know..I have camera at work but no cable to transfer pictures to computer and tonight am too busy but will get to it. What do you use to resize pic's?

There is instructions on the forum. I downloaded Picasa ( I think is the name of it) Easy to use.

surge protector is cheap insurance to protect your control board.....
Heartline.......I think thats all they sell is direct vent everyone I know from that area has it.... My Brother in law is in New Ipswich.......and all his neighbors have the save venting...I actually got my pipe there too....
As far as metal-fab and the jet cap.
1. you are less likely to get soot on the house
2. if you have a direct gust of wind at the pipe it prevents most of the wind from going into the pipe, which is a plus...

Drawback: nothing stops the sparks, so you must observe the clearance to vegetation.
The Jet cap is a cool little cap and looks great at startup....

Yes, I agree have already installed surge protector. Heartline does sell the OAK (fresh air port and exhaust port housed in one thru the wall thimble) made by Harman, which is what I purchased and installed. Also just an f.y.i. They used to sell Dura-Vent line but stopped because "they said" they could not compete with Home Depot selling Dura-Vent at lower prices, so they now sell Metal-Fab vent pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.