Harman Acentura 52i with Corn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sniper1999

Mar 17, 2014
Maryland
Will this insert burn corn only, or does it have to be mixed with wood pellets? I see in the manual where it says a 50/50 mix is the minimum. Why is this? I cannot find any explanation as to why they require it to be mixed.

Thanks!
Tom

It's not a multi fuel pellet stove. With the higher moisture content of corn the stove probably can't ignite 100% corn. Additionally, the combustion of corn releases corrosive gasses, and if you don't have a multi fuel liner you shouldn't even burn a 50/50 mix on a regular basis.

Actually the Acentura 52i insert is a multi fuel stove. That was one of the reasons I bought it. Just not sure why they recommend only a 50/50 mix.

They don't say a 50/50 mix. They say the corn must be mixed with wood pellets "up to a 50/50 mix".

"Down to" is the question.

ETA: Just found the part of the manual that words it better as up to 50% corn.

Reactions: sniper1999
BrotherBart, thanks. The other part of my question is why? can the stove not handle corn alone? what is it about mixing them that is so important? Is it just the ignition or is it the actual burning process?

One of the reasons is the sugars in the corn. The combustion process of corn will yield gooey clinkers that will not break up & get pushed out of the burn pot by the incoming fuel. The 50/50 blend may prevent these clinkers from forming. If you look at the auger for the Harman PC 45, you'll see there is an attachment & a different burn pot required for straight corn burning. that attachment is designed to munch up the corn clinkers...

Actually the Acentura 52i insert is a multi fuel stove.

I suppose, most pellet stoves can burn a 50/50 mix of corn and wood pellets, which is what the manual identifies as approved. Burning multifuels also requires different air/fuel ratios. Does the accentra have settings for corn, wheat, sunflower and wood? I cant find any literature that advertises the accentra as multifuel; but perhaps I just missed it.

Only Harman would know for sure but my bet is on ignition. And ash build up if it doesn't have mechanical pot stiring.

Corn has an ignition temperature about 200 more than pellets. PC45 has a presure igniter. Basically a electric blow torch to light straight corn. Corn clinkers up and with up to 50 percent pellets is not an issue and that's how I run our Harman because burning straight corn I can't get a cool enough fire to keep the stove on manual without it needing to cycle to provide a even fire for the crosslink. Hope this helps.

Reactions: sniper1999
Status
Not open for further replies.