Harman Advance air wash system.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JBogdon

Nov 10, 2008
Western NY
I have a 4 yr. old Harman Advance stove. I have burned 5 different brands of pellets.Some were better than others. When your facing the stove, the left side of the glass gets dirty fairly fast.You can see alight haze on the glass within 30 minutes of burning.I cleaned the stove yesterday, and the left side glass panel is 7/8 covered with a film of ash. The other side has about half the glass with an ashy haze.This stove has been doing it since I got it. Does anybody else have this problem, or is it just the nature of the beast? I don't see where the air comes from for the air wash system.Maybe I don't fully understand how the air wash system works.Any comments or advice would be helpfyl,thanks.

This has been discussed before, and its not just you. It seem the nature of the beast with the Advance is that the left side of the glass gets the airflow from the burning pellets, so it gets dirty first. There isn't anything you can do about it besides cleaning the glass regularly. I installed a log insert, and the left side of the log set gets ash buildup before the right side does. It does keep the glass a little cleaner, but then you have a messier log insert to deal with.

I agree with "yardbird" that it is just the nature of the beast. It looks as though both of you have Advances from around 2004. Mine is most likely newer and sports the "2" after the model so I'll assume I may have updates that your stoves might not. It appears that nothing has changed in regards to the ash/film build up on the glass. Mine does the exact same thing as you describe. Although I don't see the build up of the film quite as quick as you mention (within 30 minutes).

Second season with mine, does the same thing don't look at it as you go by!

Status
Not open for further replies.