Harman Advance flame going up and down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

s91wff

Jan 19, 2012
NJ
I just put the stove in a few days ago and had no issues. I am running with outside air intake. I was running 85deg and just under 4 on the feed to bring house to temp. now i cant keep an even flame. i am trying to run at 70deg but can't seem to find a steady flame. The flame will go from 8" to 1or2". Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks

s91wff said:
I just put the stove in a few days ago and had no issues. I am running with outside air intake. I was running 85deg and just under 4 on the feed to bring house to temp. now i cant keep an even flame. i am trying to run at 70deg but can't seem to find a steady flame. The flame will go from 8" to 1or2". Does anyone have any ideas. Thanks

You do realize that the stove controls the burn and if you are running it in room mode it adjusts the burn to reach the temperature you set the stove for at the place the room probe is? It will adjust the flame to suit its needs.

Likewise if you are in stove mode the difference is the temperature the stove tries to meet is one at the esp in the exhaust system.

s91wff said:

Welcome to the forum. Please click on the link in my signature. It will go a long way in explaining how your Harman works.

also, didja happen to remove the insulation disk in the outlet of the outside air kit?

Sounds pretty normal to me. My Advance always has a crazy high flame when it's trying to get up to the setpoint temperature - and then once it reaches it, the flame goes down fairly low. Later when the room temp falls and it calls for heat again, then the flame will ramp back up and it'll be huge again.

You can try stove temp mode rather than room temp mode if you are trying to get an exact flame height for asthetic reasons.

Check the ash pan. This is my first year and I seem to be emptying that every few days. Could be my pellets or the fact my wife likes it 80ish degrees in the family room.

SmokeyTheBear said:
s91wff said:

You do realize that the stove controls the burn and if you are running it in room mode it adjusts the burn to reach the temperature you set the stove for at the place the room probe is? It will adjust the flame to suit its needs.

Likewise if you are in stove mode the difference is the temperature the stove tries to meet is one at the esp in the exhaust system.

I was not sure how that all worked. This a loaner stove as i am trying it out before i spend $$ on it, I don't even have a book for it as the store did not supply one. i did look online and found some info. I am looking at a p35i as the stove to buy.

Thanks for the input

bcb1 said:
Sounds pretty normal to me. My Advance always has a crazy high flame when it's trying to get up to the setpoint temperature - and then once it reaches it, the flame goes down fairly low. Later when the room temp falls and it calls for heat again, then the flame will ramp back up and it'll be huge again.

You can try stove temp mode rather than room temp mode if you are trying to get an exact flame height for asthetic reasons.

I am running stove temp. i had it high so i can push the heat to the 1st floor, as the stove is in the bsmt.

thanks

jcayer said:
Check the ash pan. This is my first year and I seem to be emptying that every few days. Could be my pellets or the fact my wife likes it 80ish degrees in the family room.

ash pan is good!

thanks

Harman Lover 007 said:
s91wff said:

Welcome to the forum. Please click on the link in my signature. It will go a long way in explaining how your Harman works.

Will have a look...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.