Harman Battery Backup Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbennett726

Nov 6, 2014
Clayton, NY
Question for the masses.

I am the proud new owner of a Harman P61A, and am in need of some advice.

I already know how both backup systems work, and seeing as how I have a direct through-the-wall vent, a safe shutdown with a UPS is going to be very important to me.

My question, is has anyone tried running BOTH a pure sine wave battery backup AND a modified sine wave UPS for a safe shutdown if the battery backup fails before I can get away from work to fire up the generator. (Background: Both myself and the significant other work in public service, so shifts can range from 12-24hrs).

Thanks!

A pure sine wave will keep the stove running until
the battery dies. If you aren't home to shut the stove down when the battery runs out then you will get some in your house. The modified sine wave will put your stove into shutdown mode as soon as the power goes out. I went with the modified. That way if there's an extended outage I don't have to worry about smoking my house up.

Never mind. I should have read your post more clearly. I honestly don't know if what you propose would work.

It is not recommend to run a UPS from another UPS.For a safe shutdown use the modified sine UPS. A member here @TimfromMA has modified a pure sign UPS for extended run times.

Last edited:
It is not recommend to run a UPS from another UPS.For a safe shutdown use the modified sine UPS. A member here @TimfromMA has modified a pure sign UPS for extended run times.

Yuppers.

I have an APC Line R1200, will this protect my Harman p68 in case of a brown out? I just want the stove to shut down properly.
Thanks,
Marina

During an extended power failure, I like the idea of shutting down the noisy generator at night so we can sleep and keep warm at the same time. When I wake up, I fire up the generator and put the batteries on a proper deep cycle charger which will ready the batteries for the next night.

Status
Not open for further replies.