Harman control experiment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pkitfox

Jan 4, 2009
Western Nevada
I have read more than one post about how the feed rate knob on Harman pellet stoves affects the maximum burn rate. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum, and I have learned by reading their posts. There also have been some good explanations on how the Harman controls work together. I have however read a couple of posts that were confusing. In particular, I have read that the feed rate control had no effect when in stove temperature operation. Reading my manual, more than once, it talks about setting the feed rate control in two different places, and the two descriptions are are different in one way. One time the feed rate is adjusted in room temperature mode, and the other in stove temperature mode. The setting will end up the same no matter which mode it is done in. It was time for an experiment.

I set the stove temperature control to maximum, and the feed rate to 1. After 15 minutes, the stove was still at a low burn. Then the feed control was set to 4. Within 5 minutes the stove had a roaring fire. The feed rate was then used to reduce the fire by placing it on 1 again. What I learned from this is that the feed rate control does control the maximum feed in the stove temperature mode of operation.

Make sure you have your feed rate high enough to take advantage of the stove's capability. Harman recommends starting at 4, and normally you will end up higher after adjusting it per the manual. Adjust the stoves heat output with the room temperature/stove temperature control, not the feed rate control. The feed rate control just sets the maximum rate fuel can be fed to the stove. Harman says, even if the feed rate is set too high, it is not a safety issue, it is a fuel wasting issue (I find this comforting).

By the way, we love our Accentra! The controls are really sweet!

Congratulations on taking the initiative to perform a test and figure it out. I think most Harman owners who want to understand their stove and how it operates, often find themselves confused and reading the manual 10 times over (and then still confused). If Harman wants their customers to get the most out of their stoves (including the most efficient burns), they need to do a more thorough job explaining their controls, thier operation, and how they function together. They are great stoves but sometimes the automation of the stove leaves people baffled.

Status
Not open for further replies.