Harman p61a won't shut off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jocko1

Burning Hunk
Feb 1, 2014
Jersey city,NJ
I have a Harman p61a that is working fine other than the fact that it won't shut off. I swapped out the main control board with an OEM part but it still won't shut when I move it from room temp mode to the off position. Even when I put the temperature all the way down it still continues to feed pellets. Any suggestions.?? I have to empty all the pellets out of the hopper to get it to burn off and shut down. Funny thing is that it seems to be maintaining the correct temperature when I use it normally - which doesn't make sense because when I put the temp all the way down to try and shut that way it still feeds pellets????

The usual questions…have you done a deep clean recently, try cleaning the ESP, is it on a surge protector?

Reactions: ABusWrench
I’ve owned my stove for 14 years - burn 5-7 tons a year and never touched ESP. I’ll try that - just seemed odd to me that putting stove to off position wouldn’t shut it down completely so I decide to swap board. Thank you for advice.
jocko

Reactions: Washed-Up
With the new board did you adjust the dip switches?

IMG_8173.jpeg

You can find it here

Reactions: ABusWrench
Nope. It’s working fine except that when you turn knob to the off position nothing happens just keeps running but keeping room at consistent temp.

Try turning the dial from room temp mode to Off, then to Manual (stove temp) mode, then back to Off. If it shuts down, then you probably have a "flat" spot for the dial.

I have an XXV that occasionally fails to shut down and cleaning the ESP has not usually fixed the problem. What I think returns it back to a normal shutdown is removing the exhaust vent pipe and giving it a good cleaning. Mine exits the stove, runs out about 1 foot and takes a 90 degree turn upward about 4 feet to where it enters a chimney. A fair amount of ash collects in the lower part of the pipe. I think the ash buildup tends to not allow the area where the ESP is to cool down (restricts air flow or ash stays hot) as it should and affects the shutdown of the stove. This may not help for your problem, but perhaps maybe worth a look.

The XXV has a hopper lid that has a switch that when the lid is opened prevents the feed motor from running and the for times it doesn't shutdown I simply open the lid so the pellets don't feed to shut it down. Your stove appears to not have a similar design. I've thought about adding a 'kill' switch on the back of the stove to cut power to the feed motor for the times it fails to shut down.

Circuit board needs replaced. When I have a stove with this symptom and the stove is clean and breathing correctly but still has the symptom I replace the board and ESP and works every time.