Harman ignitor cleaning..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
I do a good cleaning every couple weeks which includes the ignitor compartment..fingering out the dried ash.
some times i blow out the ignitor with compressed air.
anyways, starting noticing that the left side of the burnpot would ignite and produce flame while the right side lagged but eventually caught up.
took a few minutes and removed the 2 bolts and dropped the ignitor down..
tapped on it with a screw driver and all this dried ash gunk fell out......
I am assuming that when I blew air into it possibly just pushed some of the gunk deeper into the fins..
after getting the stove to ignite again there was a very noticeable difference...
both side of the pellet pile lit up evenly.... so note to self:
pull the ignitor few times each season for more uniform combustion..

Reactions: Ssyko
I stick the vacume over the end on my stove..

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I stick the vacume over the end on my stove..

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Yeah I would do that also. I really think the compressed-air thing push some crud back in the fins where it had nowhere else to go

This is what Harman dealers used to recommend,perhaps they do not anymore.This is a quote from a member here(dealer) from some years ago.
"Take a 1/4" drive socket wrench with a 5/16" socket. Back off the two screws on the front of the burn pot 3-5 turns ONLY. Remove the cover plate, insert your fingers into the burnpot and tap the ignitor in it's cradle. Watch the magic happen. **** RELAX MAGIC DOES NOT EXIST you will see a lot of fly ash work lose.***** make sure you tighten the 5/16 screws without pinching the wires."

This is what Harman dealers used to recommend,perhaps they do not anymore.This is a quote from a member here(dealer) from some years ago.
"Take a 1/4" drive socket wrench with a 5/16" socket. Back off the two screws on the front of the burn pot 3-5 turns ONLY. Remove the cover plate, insert your fingers into the burnpot and tap the ignitor in it's cradle. Watch the magic happen. **** RELAX MAGIC DOES NOT EXIST you will see a lot of fly ash work lose.***** make sure you tighten the 5/16 screws without pinching the wires."
Sounds good. I will give it a try next time and not totally remove the ignitor and see what happens.