Harman P35i blown fuse

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Good morning all. I have a new to me P35i I'm installing. Its 4 years old and was never really cleaned and it took me awhile to clean most of it. Most if it is because the last owner never pulled out the stove to clean anything and the only thing I need to do is get a hot fire to get rid of the creosote in the fire box.
Now my problem, I connected all the wires following the wiring diagram from the manual, checked 3 time to make sure they were correct. Put the stove in the cabinet and clamp all the clips and went to the manual and followed the Starting a fire - "Automatic". When I plug the stove in I get the red power light and when I turn on test the fuse pops. I checked and did not see any burn marks on the board and recheck my wires and tried it a second time with the same result. I hear the blower kick on for about a second then I see the flash of the fuse popping.
I call to have a tech come out but the earliest they can get here is 11/15 or 11/25.
My first though was to run a 110 line to see if the feed motor is the problem, but that me thinking but not really knowing. I do have a boiler so I'm not freezing here but could use a little help getting this going.
So any ideas where I should start?
Thanks, Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have already looked over all the wires for a pinch or short, Unplug everything except for the exhaust blower. Does it blow the fuse then? If not, add the auger in and so on. That will tell you where your short is.

Excellent idea, I'm going to have to go out and buy some more fusses, I only have 1 more.
When I do this do I still follow the auto startup procedure? I did notice that when I put the fuse in it really wasn't snug in the holder, a little touch with my finger and it moves. Should I try pinching the holder with needle nose pliers to get it a little tighter?
Thanks, Fred

Just pinch them with your fingers. Be careful not to ground anything out and leave the stove unplugged while plugging stuff in and unplugging

I just got a call from my boss and I have to go in early to work today. I would like to apologize because I'm not going to be here until
tomorrow morning to start playing with the stove and asking questions. I'm going to get some extra fusses while i'm out.
Thanks Fred

Comb blower is the most typical on those. It is the first thing to kick in. I would unplug it and try it.

Put a 2amp fuse in-line with each component before you keep blowing more board fuses, the boards are real sensitive to blowback voltage. Hell static shock will fry a board

Reactions: Misterfredsr
That's the second time you said that, I'm going to make another road trip to get some 2 amp fuses. I'll see if I can get some connectors so I can just slip them in without cutting any wires.

I would splice them into hot side of each component and have the peace of mind the board is safe on both sides of the power

Reactions: Misterfredsr
@Ssyko I have a 1100i that's going to cost me more to fix then what's its worth so it's going to the scrap yard. I read somewhere that you full around with old control boxes. I have one that popped in the spring of this year and I just popped in my spare and I was good to go. This fall the stove died, not lights on the control box. So i found a new stove and if you want the 2 old control boxes I'll ship them to you at my cost, whats a few buck for all the help you and others have provided here for everyone. Just let me know.
Fred

sure Fred all Donations to the cause are welcomed i will PM you my Address.

don't scrap it quite yet let me ck the boards they may be fixable.

Last edited:
also here is the ones i use but they are on fleabay. I buy from Mouser, Digikey, etc.

I guess I get the gold star for being the ediot of the week. There was 1 wire hooked up in the wrong place, following the wire and not reading. The good news is it is up and running and now off to How your harman works.
Thanks everyone and I'm still going to put the 2 amp fusses in when I do a good cleaning in about a week.

Attachments

• Green.pdf
    208.8 KB · Views: 142
The burn pot is shot and I need a new control box and its 25 years old. Got a Harman P35i $1,350 that is 4 years old. He's a friend who was going to put it on let-go for $1,500 and let-go charges 10% so he knocked of 10% for me. He was selling it because he was having problems. When I picked it up he had to show me how to clean the stove, what a joke. He told me to empty the ash pan, scrap the burn pot and vac out the sides and never said anything about pulling out the stove for cleaning. I gave him the cash and took off smiling knowing that I got a very good stove.

;)