Harman P38 cleanup / tune up cost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4dimad

Jul 4, 2008
MA
Hi
My P38 is 3 years old. I just called the dealer and he gave me $170 price quote for cleaning stove and tuning it up. Since I didn't use pro before (I cleaned it myself) I was wondering if it's a fair deal. Thanks!
P.S. I am in MA

If you have had the stove for three seasons and cleaned it yourself I would ask what more a professional will do for you?
Usually the book is pretty good at telling the owner what to do. Then you could ask other owners if they clean yours differently then you but I would have to think you are doing good if you haven't had any problems so far.
170.00 seems high but consider travel time maybe not. My question would be what is he doing different then you for his fees?

It's not uncommon for me to charge $212.00-$230 for this type of service on that stove. I do include a complete rotary cleaning of the venting as well, a tear down and inspection of the systems in the back of the stove; ESP, Auger (including stator & gearbox), vacuum line, collection box, convection fan etc...

When I am done I will fire up the stove monitor the stove into running mode and a steady climb to high heat, answer any questions you may have concerning the stove, pellets, etc.. and then cleanup. All of my cleanings are a $155 service call plus $75 per hour after he first hr + parts, if needed. I run the stove and take the time to chat with the owners...I usually find something that they could be doing better.

I do not have a set fee for cleanings as each stove has specific and different needs which are unique to each installation and end user's burning habits.

I know of many dealers that charge more and some that charge less but find as a whole that many dealers send out the least qualified techs to perform cleanings if they employ more than a few.

Can you do it? Of coarse. Do the techs know what they are doing...you would hope so, though many do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.