Harman P38 control board/Auger motor question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JAC37

Jan 16, 2015
New Hamshire
Good afternoon,

I have a Harman P38 pellet stove and my auger motor won't feed pellets anymore. I've cleaned out the low pressure switch (jumped the leads and bypassed it as well). My question is how much voltage should be going to my auger motor?

I believe the motor is good - I've pigtailed the motor and plugged it into the wall directly and it draws 1amp and then settles down to drawing about 0.6amps and spins normally. It's under load cause it's still attached to the auger. Metering the motor I get about 10ohms resistance. All this seems normal.

I've got 120V coming out of the wall outlet to the board. When I meter the spade terminals on the control board that go to the feeder motor I get 120V from hot to ground lugs, but I only get 100V from the hot to the common lug. Metering the leads to the auger motor, I also see the 100V (this is with the low pressure switch jumped or inline - has no effect). It seems like I need a new board, but I work at a PCB manufacturing plant and could easily debug the board if schematics are available.

Does this sound like a control board issue or bad auger motor? If it's a control board, does anyone have any way of getting the schematics to the actual board (I have the wiring diagram in my manual, but it's not a schematic). Does anyone know what voltage your auger motor is seeing (especially if you have a Harman pellet stove)?

Thanks in advance for any help or input.

So it seems you are getting 100V out of board to the auger motor, which does not seem right. I believe it should be 120V and does not vary like the combustion motor...Have not come across a schematic ..I'll check my voltage when I get a chance..

Thanks gfreek. I agree - the 100V does not seem right to me. Called a service tech at a Harman dealer locally and he couldn't tell me for sure, but didn't think it was right. He has no way of getting a schematic - they just replace a bad board, they won't repair it.

Thanks for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.