1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Harman P38 keeps shutting down

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by rhschumaker, Dec 27, 2012.

1. rhschumaker

rhschumaker Member

Loc:
    Western MA
    The auger intermittently stops feeding the stove and therefore the stove burns what is left in the pot and then shuts down. You can hear the stove running as it does when it's run out of pellets but there are pellets in the box - they just aren't dropping down. Is the auger defective? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    Start with the simple 1st and go from there Check to see if some long pellets may have bridged not allowing the rest to drop.
    Delta-T likes this.
  3. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    long pellets, buildup in the feeder body (fines box), foreign object all can cause that kinda thing
  4. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

theres alot of reasons it can not feed, but the above suggestions are great places to start. Long pellets can bridge your hopper opening......so can a clump, or too many fines! Have you cleaned out the fines chamber in the rear of the stove? Gummy stove syndrome? Your ESP probe clean?
  5. rhschumaker

rhschumaker Member

Loc:
    Western MA
    Cleaned it, etc. did all of the above. Intermittently the feed motor light will shut off and won't come back on and the stove won't drop pellets until I turn the stove off and then turn it back on again. I'm stuck. Suggestions?
  6. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

how old is your unit? has to be fairly recent if it has a feed motor light (IE: new P38 series- the old ones only has 2 knobs)....Im guessing less than 2 years old? Still under warrantee? Faulty board possibly.....also, a good thing with the new boards is your local, debonaire (sp?) hrman Dealer can hook up their DDm to it...something the "old" p38's couldnt do.
    Im sure you know that the feed motor light isnt supposed to be on all the time, but does only come on intermittently.
    Your P38 shouldnt shut down on its own under normal operating conditions unless it runs out of pellets......
  7. rhschumaker

rhschumaker Member

Loc:
    Western MA
    Thats what my husband is guessing is that it's a faulty board. Only a year old. Electrical covered for three years but still have to pay the $175 to have them come diagnose.
  8. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

so, let me get this right.....the dealer coming out to service your still-under-warranty stove, the dealer who originally sold the unit to you, I assume, charges $175 to come out and diagnose the unit?! !!!
    rhschumaker and Delta-T like this.
  9. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    unless you live on top of Greylock and they have to take a team of dogs and sleds to get to you I'd say that's i bit nutty.

you do not get any blinkies on the status light when it shuts down?
  10. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

agreed.....unless its not the original selling dealer. Ive heard stories of some dealers doing this......they sell the unit, even if its under warranty, they charge an outrageous amount to come out......cant say I support this viewpoint....wow.....
  11. rhschumaker

rhschumaker Member

Loc:
    Western MA
    Yeah, can't keep the stove running. And, yep, original dealer. I was surprised to be charged as well.
  12. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    Any reason you can't remove the board and bring in to your tight $#@ dealer?