Harman P43 diagnostics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

viovio

Oct 25, 2019
Hi everyone, i am new here and looking for some help.

So we purchased a Harman P43 in Jan 2014, self installed, and it had been working fine in the past few winters. This year, we have been having trouble getting it ignited. It somewhat turns a little bit warm. There are pretty much no visible sparkles to start a fire, and the auger still keeps feeding. A new igniter was purchased and replaced. Now there is still no ignition. :( Now we need some professional help (and suggestions from here too!!)

Since we installed the unit ourselves, it was not covered by the warranty, and since we purchased it in Delaware (and we live in Paoli PA, 19301), the local shop would not service us as they are already overwhelmed with their own customers. I did find one place in Ambler PA that would service us, but not until December!!

Does anyone know any place/any body that can provide diagnostic services to this stove in the area soon-ish? Thanks a lot!!

I'd start with a full cleaning including the vent pipe all the way to the end. Have you run the self test and have any blink codes? Have you tried it in both Room Temp and Stove Temp and does it exhibit the same symptoms?

I'd also try starting it manually. I use a propane torch to get it going or you can use a fuel gel.

Reactions: PeteFromMaine
Is it flashing an error code? Is the igniter light on? How is it vented? Have you ever fully serviced it or had it fully serviced ( cleaned from front to exterior). Every 2 ton of pellets the factory recommends having the flue and the stove thoroughly cleaned. That includes vacuuming your fines box, blowing out your vacuum line, pulling and cleaning your esp, and brushing your pipe. If the stove is clogged up it will not power up the igniter. On a simpler note, is your igniter switch on auto?

Make sure your air intake isn't getting clogged up either under the pot (ashes can get pushed back in there and disturb the air flow), or at the back of the stove (I've had a piece of plastic film get taken up there).

I'm guessing somewhere you have a bad connection. Recently my P68 would not light. I pulled off the back panels and could see a wire had popped out of the crimped connector. I recrimped and back in business. But in the meantime, light the stove with a propane torch, works great. Turn to automatic, light it, once it is going turn to manual.

Tom