Harman P52i Cleaning Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigjim

Nov 6, 2014
Oregon
I decided to try and do a fairly thorough cleaning of the inside of the new P52i today. I've read as much as i've found available and watched several vids. Everything went pretty much as planned and the cleaning process was pretty simple. The only thing I had problems with was the cover for the fan in the bottom right corner. I slid the latch to the left and tried pulling out the cover, and it would not budge. At this point I thought maybe the latch was still holding it in, so I removed the latch completely. It still did not budge. I tapped on it a bit with no luck, then just decided to reinstall the latch and return to my favorite stove forum for input. Has anyone else experienced this problem while trying to remove this cover. I made another observation while doing this cleaning. The scraper tool that came with the stove has kind of a pie shape end on one side. This I was told was for scraping the heat exchangers. Here's the observation. Where the heck are the heat exchangers. Is this something that got eliminated do to higher manufacturing costs when Harman was bought out. There is just a flat wall behind the heat exchanger plates when removed. Thanks in advance. Jim

Ok when removing fan cover you flip the latch to the left pull the cover plate toward you the top comes first the bottom has to be slide toward the fan to come out of the notch at the bottom then lift upward turning it to negotiate the burn pot and out.i believe that the grooves in the steel baffles is where you use that end of the harman tool never had anything gum up in there just sweep it out

Reactions: Bigjim
If it is anything like my Harman 61a, the place you use the scraper is the "ceiling" of the firebox. If you look up in there, you should be able to see a plate that is almost like a semi-stretched out accordion. Slide the scraper along the grooves to get the fly ash off.

If it is anything like my Harman 61a, the place you use the scraper is the "ceiling" of the firebox. If you look up in there, you should be able to see a plate that is almost like a semi-stretched out accordion. Slide the scraper along the grooves to get the fly ash off.
On the new accentra the ceiling is smooth no need for the groove scraper there

Big P has it nailed. It's a bit of. A Jenga piece getting it in and out, but the piece should move pretty freely once you move the latch holding it down. Once you get it figured out with (maybe with a tech call), I'd recommend using a nice soft paint brush on the very fine ash you'll find in there on the fan blades. Best of luck.

Reactions: Big papa
On the new accentra the ceiling is smooth no need for the groove scraper there

Ah, that would be why Big Jim is confused (and me even more so apparently)

While I vacuum the back and sides once all the plates are out, most times I use the vacuum as a catch and use a gloved hand to push off all ash on the small angled inside "roof" areas of the 52i burn box. I use a Powersmith vacuum and have found the $15 aftermarket vacuum attachments at HD fit perfectly and are awesome for getting the smaller nooks and crannies like the igniter box, air chamber and exhaust (don't go too far... ESP is back there)

Reactions: Bigjim
Thanks for the help folks. I too bought the powersmith ash vac with the accessories. It really does come in handy in those tight areas. I realize that this wasn't intended to be an ash vac post, but does anyone else who owns the powersmith notice you pretty much have to empty the vac every time you use it to keep the indicator from going red. It seems that the ash and soot fines cling onto the filter and make it run hotter, along with sending the indicator into the red prematurely.

Reactions: RhodyPelletRook
Status
Not open for further replies.