Harman p61-2 exhaust blower issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tazz

Aug 17, 2013
western massachusetts
This is a older p61-2 with auto ignite and is still pretty new to me, I got it at the end of the season last year and really haven't used it till now. The stove has been running great for me other than me learning the ins and outs of it.

So I decided to give it a cleaning the other day and I turned the feed dial to test so the exhaust blower would run while I clean, along with the convection blower cycling. I noticed that when the room blower comes on the exhaust blower slows down and it's very noticeable. This doesn't seem right to me but that doesn't mean I'm right so that's why I'm asking. I'm also running this off of a decent Surge protector and I haven't checked the power at the outlet but I really never had a need to. Could one or both the blowers be on there way out, possibly the power supply.

This is a older p61-2 with auto ignite and is still pretty new to me, I got it at the end of the season last year and really haven't used it till now. The stove has been running great for me other than me learning the ins and outs of it.

So I decided to give it a cleaning the other day and I turned the feed dial to test so the exhaust blower would run while I clean, along with the convection blower cycling. I noticed that when the room blower comes on the exhaust blower slows down and it's very noticeable. This doesn't seem right to me but that doesn't mean I'm right so that's why I'm asking. I'm also running this off of a decent Surge protector and I haven't checked the power at the outlet but I really never had a need to. Could one or both the blowers be on
there way out, possibly the power supply.
I do the same thing while cleaning my p61a but to be honest i have never noticed the exhaust blower slowing down or not.

So I decided to give it a cleaning the other day and I turned the feed dial to test so the exhaust blower would run while I clean, along with the convection blower cycling. I noticed that when the room blower comes on the exhaust blower slows down and it's very noticeable. This doesn't seem right to me but that doesn't mean I'm right so that's why I'm asking. I'm also running this off of a decent Surge protector and I haven't checked the power at the outlet but I really never had a need to. Could one or both the blowers be on there way out, possibly the power supply.

Tazz,

I'm 93% sure that's how the two blowers run in test mode. IIRC they alternate between distribution blower high with combustion low and distribution low with combustion high until you leave test mode. I think things are fine.

Hugh

SciGuy, if this is true and I have no reason to doubt you, I have learned something new today. I didn't realize that the combustion blower was two speed on these.

SciGuy, if this is true and I have no reason to doubt you, I have learned something new today. I didn't realize that the combustion blower was two speed on these.

Tazz,

Here's a piece from the manual that talks about the blower speed in test mode. I'm not sure that it exactly agrees with what I remember but does mention the blowers alternating between high and low speed after running at high for 2 minutes.

Test
Runs all motors at
full speed for two
minutes to check
operation. After two
minutes the stove
will go to minimum
burn and the
blowers will
alternate from high
to low every two
minutes to remind
you that you are still
in "Test Mode".

Here it is in the Low draft voltage adjustment section of the manual. I knew I read it somewhere:)

A simple draft test should be performed after
completing the flue pipe installation. To record the
results for future reference:

1. Plug unit into a 120VAC, 60 HZ outlet.

2. Close the hopper lid, front view door, and the
ash pan. Neither pellets or a fire are required for
this test.

3. With the mode selector in the "OFF" position,
turn the feed adjuster to "TEST".

4. Record the high draft_____in W.C. (Normal is
.50 to -.60) The control will be on the High Draft
for a total of 1 minute.

5. After the minute, the combustion motor will go
down to low draft and the distribution blower will go
on high. Allow approximately 15 seconds to pass
for the combustion motor to slow before checking
the low draft.

6. If the low draft is between -.35 and -.45, record
the reading _____ in W.C. If the reading is higher,
slowly turn the set screw counter-clockwise until the
draft lowers. If the reading is lower, very slowly turn
the set screw clockwise until the draft increases

Last edited:
Thanks for jogging my memory, I totally forgot about that section of the manual. Here I am the guy who lives by the manual seeing as I'm a jet engine inspector.

Reactions: railfanron