Harman P68 pellet ash build up on glass and front of stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now my flame is blowing towards they glass with the burn pot clear
I'll speak of my P61, little brother to your P68. There are two instances where the flame directs towards the glass on my p61. Otherwise it is straight up or even leaning slightly rearward towards the fire brick. Well low burn has to make it around the flame guide so that has a slight forward motion before turning up.

1. When the burn pot is not truly clear but has carbon or ash built up on it ( especially ash). Don't forget to scrape right down under the burning coals of the pellet bed. I scrape daily.

2 When I'm running late on cleaning the igniter compartment and it's fairly well stuffed with ash inside there. I've had that compartment stuff with ash almost full to the igniter itself, effectively blocking some air holes off or partially blocking them anyway. This can cause an incomplete burn as well, adding more ash more quickly on top of the burn pot.

Well guess you could say no matter how you cut it, it's generally caused by dirt someplace that needs cleaning.

Last edited:
Try the simplest things first. Some new pellets, QUALITY PELLETS. Fines box cover and igniter compartment too. Since you've apparently had success before you can have it again. Someone said pellets vary within brands. They are correct. Remember the basic tenet of troubleshooting: K.I.S.S.

Fines box clear. 2 years of burning Northern with no problems. Maybe a bad ton
Did you do anything with your leaking door gasket ? I could easily see where your flame would lean towards the door with a leaky door gasket. When I crack my door open the flame goes all lazy and leans towards the door before it starts to die down.

Last edited:
ctown, I would get a gasket kit and try replacing the door gasket at least. Minimal cost of repair for the gasket and glue - time to strip off old, clean frame well, and replace. If it is something you don't want to tackle, take the door off and deliver to the stove shop... Might be quicker than waiting for someone to come out and look at the stove;) and they are at the end of their life span anyway...

Reactions: alternativeheat
I think I'm in love with lake girl!
Beware of married women armed with Kabota's !

Did you change that gasket yet ?

Reactions: Lake Girl
;lol;lol Let us know how you make out with the gaskets - do all three (ash pan, hopper and door) that way your starting fresh again.

As long as the lid is still seating well and it's not torn up at all, wait and see on that one. The hopper does form part of the area under vacuum so that would be the next area to look at if the door and ash pan gaskets don't cure what ails it. While you're giving it the once over, you might want to check/replace your vac switch tubing...

Status
Not open for further replies.