Harman shut down with no error code

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlongo1115

Dec 15, 2011
Wilton,CT
hey guys my stove shut down on its own without running out of pellets. I did a manual reset and tried to start it back up but the distribution blower light is off as well as the auger light. I put iron test mode and the blowers both came on fine but still no anger. Anyone have any idea where I should start?

What stove do you have? Could be loss of vacuum. Need your model.

Does your stove have the orange baffle in the hooper? If so disconnect the hose from the round vac. switch and blow into the hose to the baffle, also check to make sure there are NO pellets or dust around the seal on the hooper and the hooper lid.

there is also a hoper switch that shuts off the auger when the lid is open it could be jammed or malfunctioning try to clean it out. If the switch is jammed and the stove thinks the lid is open the auger wont run and you also will not get an error code just a thought to try something easy first

glenc0322 said:
there is also a hoper switch that shuts off the auger when the lid is open it could be jammed or malfunctioning try to clean it out. If the switch is jammed and the stove thinks the lid is open the auger wont run and you also will not get an error code just a thought to try something easy first

Not sure that the 2006 model had the hopper lid switch. In any case, leaving the lid open will give the 5 blink code for failing to start in 36 minutes.

I worked on a P61A with the same problem, there was a pellet stuck to the seal on the lid. It did latch down but was allowing more air in hooper than normal

Boy when I read threads like this, trying to figure out what switch is not working
it makes me love my Invincible more
will keep it running along time so I do not have to deal with Gubmit safety devices

Really could use more info on this post
such as stove model, insert or free stander
Liner or vent pipe parts and lenght (not just it runs through the wall)
diameter and parts of the venting system
is the stove in the basement or first floor
age of the unit

Would love to help but we need details

Eric

It doesn't have a hopper switch but I will check the vac hose and blow into it and see if that does anything. I can freely spin the auger so it's not jammed. This happened in auto room mode after running for 4 days straight. I have 30 ft of 4inch stainless liner in my pre existing chimney. Everything was installed about a month ago so it is fairly new. I cleaned the fines out pd the auger box and cleaned off the esp. On test mode both blowers work but in start mode only the Combustion blower and igniter lights come on.

jlongo1115 said:
It doesn't have a hopper switch but I will check the vac hose and blow into it and see if that does anything. I can freely spin the auger so it's not jammed. This happened in auto room mode after running for 4 days straight. I have 30 ft of 4inch stainless liner in my pre existing chimney. Everything was installed about a month ago so it is fairly new. I cleaned the fines out pd the auger box and cleaned off the esp. On test mode both blowers work but in start mode only the Combustion blower and igniter lights come on.

You can freely spin the auger? You should never turn the auger other than by applying power to it. It should remain in one place.

Eric

ok so I took the auger out and the lock screw that holds the auger motor to the auger itself was so loose that it wasn't even spinning the auger as it should. I hooked it all back up and tightened everything down and it is spinning the way its supposed to now. So I started it up and I realized that the feed light was very dim, so I reached behind the control panel and touched some wires and then it got bright and the auger started spinning. After about 3-4 minutes the light would go dull again and the auger would not be spinning so I tapped on the front of the control panel and the light would get bright and the auger would start spinning. So there is a loose connection somewhere have any of you had this issue? I don't want to take the control board apart and start messing with things that don't need to be messed with, I would rather be sure what needs to be fixed.
thanks guys
James

jlongo1115 said:
ok so I took the auger out and the lock screw that holds the auger motor to the auger itself was so loose that it wasn't even spinning the auger as it should. I hooked it all back up and tightened everything down and it is spinning the way its supposed to now. So I started it up and I realized that the feed light was very dim, so I reached behind the control panel and touched some wires and then it got bright and the auger started spinning. After about 3-4 minutes the light would go dull again and the auger would not be spinning so I tapped on the front of the control panel and the light would get bright and the auger would start spinning. So there is a loose connection somewhere have any of you had this issue? I don't want to take the control board apart and start messing with things that don't need to be messed with, I would rather be sure what needs to be fixed.
thanks guys
James

If it is not running then it needs to be fixed right?

Something is loose and you need to either replace the board or more likely one of the connections is loose and needs to be tightened. Didn't you get this bad boy used? you may have found out why. These little things are a pain in the tail to chase down I know but better to bite the bullet find the loose connection and fix it now while you can.

yes I bought it used but I have had it installed and running every single day for the last 5 weeks and never once did this happen so i highly doubt this is why they sold it. I am going to take the board off and see what I can see later tonight. as of now it is running good but I am sure it will happen again so yes I do need to figure it out. If anyone else has ever had this problem please chime in as I am sure I am not the first person this has ever happened to.

If it were me I would shut the stove down and disconnect from power. Get to the circuit board and wire harness area. If possible remove the circuit board. Gently remove the wiring harness and inspect for any loose wires in the harness itself. It may be as simple as unplugging and plugging back in the wire harness to re-seat everything. Check around the auger motor for a loose wire too.

Try not to touch any of the components on the board or the traces as static electricity from you could damage the board. If you take your time and be careful I think you will find and fix your problem. Good Luck! Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.