Harman tl300 for 1200.00 only used 4 times???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

curber

Feeling the Heat
Oct 6, 2011
south east idaho
Should I buy this stove to replace my old smoke dragon? Lady says it was only used 4-6 times and then they went to gas. It has the upgraded nickle trim and blower. Any input would be great. Seems like a fancy stove, 2600 is what she said she paid for it. Thanks Pat

Hears the pic she sent me

Attachments

• Harman tl300 for 1200.00 only used 4 times???
    harman tl300 001.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 929
When I was looking at new stoves this one was way out of my price range but now it's rite in there with the drolet ht2000 and the englander 30. I sure like the looks of the stove. Pat

The TL is a quality heater with a large firebox. It is a downdraft stove so you want to be sure to have really dry wood and there is a learning curve but it should do a good job for you. And that is one heck of a good price for it.

Their is an optional grill and rotisserie available for it also.

Buy it. Get the grill, too.

This stove can work well with the right flue, but it won't be happy with inadequate draft. What are you thinking of connecting it to?

Personally, I wouldn't buy one of these down-draft stoves. I had researched the Harmon stoves quite a bit as they have a good reputation in my area. Couple of friends have their coal stoves and really like them. But I found the down draft system on their wood stoves is finicky, requiring well-dryed wood and an experienced operator. Also, the combustion chamber is fragile and may need replaced every few years. I read too many stories (here on hearth.com) of people who were happy with them but had to burn them super-hot.

I just didn't see the benefit over something super-simple like the Englander NC30. Then I found a used Fireview for $1,000 and my mind was made up... :)

Like the others said it needs good draft and seasoned wood.
But, with its top load design which allows you to grill is a major plus with this stove.
I do get very good burn times with this stove (10+ hours) using seasoned hardwood.
Well worth $1,200.

BeGreen said:
This stove can work well with the right flue, but it won't be happy with inadequate draft. What are you thinking of connecting it to?

Well after reading the manual it says that this stove is fine with a clay lined masonry chimney. Thats what I have so thats what I would hook it up to. I havent made my mind up for sure yet to buy this or the englander. Still undecided. Pat

All stoves can vent into a clay-lined masonry chimney. How well it will perform is the question. The condition, height and inside area of the chimney are very important considerations that will affect safety and performance.

This is not to discourage you, that's a great price. The aim here is to give you a safe and successful installation.

Sounds good, often that make a nice difference. Can you describe the chimney? Is it interior or exterior, how tall, what is the ID of the clay-liner?

Its 7x10 ID i belive. clay liner. 18-20ft of clay and then a little pipe on the inside of the house. The chimney is on the end of the house on the outside. Pat

It's worth a try without a stainless liner if the clay tiles are in good shape. Have the chimney cleaned and inspected for any missing mortar or cracked tiles. If you have good, dry wood, it might work out. Keep the inside connection as short as possible, especially the horiz. section.

Just had the chimney swept and they sent a cam down it and said it looked like new. I'm still just not sure this stove is the rite one for me. I'm not sure it's the workhorse that I'm looking for. Pat

It can put out the heat for sure as long as it has dry wood. What do you have split and stacked? Pine, tamarack? How large an area would it be heating?

House is 2000sq but we only heat downstairs family, halways, upstairs family and kitchen. All the bigger open areas. This years wood is some verry dry lodgepole pine, about 5 true cord. I've got about 5 cord c/s/s top covered for the following years. It is mixed, ash, locast, birch and elm. I'm getting some good wood put up. I'm also hoping that a newer stove will decrese my wood consumption. Pat

Just went out and re-split 5 pieces and the MM says the pine is 8% so thats plenty dry. Pat

I currently heat a 1080 sq ft manufactured house with a full unfinished basement for a total area of around 2160 sq ft to 75 degrees upstairs and I am living in MN.
I would not consider my house well insulated but we are working on getting that accomplished. For $1,200 that stove is a great deal.

I would find out the reason why the person would spend almost 2.6K for the stove and then sell it for around half price.
My assumption would be either their setup was not allowing them to obtain the proper draft or they had poorly seasoned wood.

Some questions to ask:
Do you know the dealer where they bought the stove from?
Harman does its support from the dealer and does not handle any issues over the phone.
Is the warranty on the stove still good?

This stove does require a learning curve, but once you learn how to operate it under your connection it will provide you will plenty of heat with less wood comsumption.

She said the sellers of the house had to put in a new woodstove to sell it. When they bought the house the stove was brand new, they used it a few times and decided the wood was to much work and went to gas. So they didn't really pay for the stove. I've called the dealer that put it in and his responce was (well if you dont buy it call me and I'll go get it.) Asked him about installing it with my chimney and he says it should work fine. Pat

It may work just fine with the clay, even though the flue is a bit large. I would try it - you can always put in the liner later.

My eastern white pine does not make a good deep coal bed, which you need for this stove, but your pine may be denser and may coal better. You might get best results by mixing some hardwoods in. My usual method is start with small branch-wood, then small splits of hardwood, and then reload with softwood once the coals are deep. It will really put out some heat.

You won't go wrong with the Englander, either, but for about the same money I'd take the Harman. If you like grilling, there's nothing better.

Yeah I've got a cord or so of dry ash that I can mix in. I do like grilling. Well I'm going to look at it at 315 so we'll see what happens. Pat

I can guarantee you at that price the dealer would be happy to go pick it up and re-sell it at 2.3K and still consider it a good deal.

As for grilling I do more grilling on my Harman then I done on the outside grill.
Granted, the best time to grill outside is June, July, August and part of September.

What stove have you been burning in Pat? If it is a pre-EPA difference you should see a nice reduction in wood consumption.

Given the drastic markdown by the seller, I'd buy it, give it a try and if the thing doesn't work out, sell it for a profit.

I think you can get the hang of operating a downdraft stove and be very satisified with the burn.

Good luck,
Bill

Well I just got home with it. It is in really good shape. I've been using a hurricane. Hears a pic of the old one. Pat

Attachments

• Harman tl300 for 1200.00 only used 4 times???
    hearth.com 049.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 355
Status
Not open for further replies.